The Certificate in Medical Physics is designed to provide individuals holding terminal degrees in physics or a closely related field with the didactic coursework required for eligibility to enter medical physics residency programs. This is a two-semester certificate offering courses in basic radiation sciences and clinical medical physics.
Plan Admission Requirements
- Fall: June 1
- Spring: November 15
Applications available on the UNLV Graduate College website.
View the full listing of Graduate College application deadlines.
Applications for admission must be completed through the Graduate College ApplyYourself online application system.
- Hold a terminal degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in physics or a closely related field.
- Have an overall GPA of 3.00 in graduate work.
- Receive a composite score of 310 or higher on the verbal and quantitative sections of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Successfully complete an anatomy and physiology course. Applicants not meeting the anatomy and physiology requirement may still be admitted to the program, however, this prerequisite deficiency must be completed during either the first or second semester of study.
- All domestic and international applicants must review and follow the Graduate College admission and registration requirements.
Students are accepted into a degree program as described in the Graduate Catalog. The faculty and corresponding sub-disciplines and sub-plans within the described programs are subject to change at any time.
Total Credits Required: 18
Required Courses — Credits: 18
- HPS 602 — Radiation Detection
- HPS 703 — Radiation Interactions and Transport
- HPS 720 — Radiation Dosimetry
- HPS 730 — Advanced Radiation Biology
- HPS 740 — Medical Imaging Physics
- HPS 742 — Radiation Therapy Physics
- Completion of a minimum of 18 credit hours with a minimum GPA of 3.00.
- Students in the Certificate in Medical Physics must adhere to the six-year completion rule.
- No credit may be used in an advanced certification program for course work completed more than six calendar years immediately preceding the term in which all certificate requirements are completed.
Plan Certificate Completion Requirements
The student must submit all required forms to the Graduate College and then apply for graduation in MyUNLV by the appropriate deadline.