Graduate Council & Committees
A variety of committees, under the umbrella of the Graduate Council, work in concert with the Graduate College dean to establish policies and procedures for the Graduate College. The Graduate Council includes one delegate from each academic department that sponsors an advanced degree program, plus representatives from the Graduate Student and Professional Association.
The following committees play a critical role in forming procedures and policies that affect the Graduate College, its faculty members, and its students.
2016-2017 Graduate Council Meeting Dates and Times
- All Graduate Faculty Club Reception, September 8, 2016 - Richard Tam Alumni Center - Grand Hall & Lounge, 3–5 p.m.
- September 21, 2016 - Student Union - Room 208 A & B, 2–4 p.m.
- November 30, 2016 - Richard Tam Alumni Center - Grand Hall 2-4 p.m.
- March 8, 2017 - Student Union - Ballroom A, 2-4 p.m.
- April 19, 2017 - Student Union - Room 208 A & B, 2-4 p.m.
- All Graduate Faculty Club Awards & Reception, May 5, 2017 - Richard Tam Alumni Center - Grand Hall & Lounge, 3-5 p.m.
- Executive Committee – Consists of chairs of all Graduate College Committees, Graduate Council Chair, and the GPSA president. The Executive Committee advises the Graduate College dean and aids in strategic planning for the Graduate College.
- Curriculum – Reviews and approves new graduate courses and graduate curriculum revisions.
- New Programs & Program Revisions – Reviews and recommends approval of new graduate degree programs and changes to existing programs.
- Graduate Awards Committee – Develops guidelines for awarding graduate student funding for fellowships and scholarships, selects fellowship and scholarship recipients, and selects outstanding graduate faculty and outstanding thesis & dissertation award winners.
- Program Review – Works in conjunction with the Faculty Senate to review existing graduate programs.
- Appeals and Legal Issues – Reviews and develops policies related to faculty and student welfare, and serves as reviewing and recommending body on select faculty and student academic appeals.
- Professional Development Committee – Cultivates opportunities for professional development activities and skills for graduate and professional students, oversees the Graduate Research Certificate Program, and selects the annual Graduate Student Teaching Award.
- Top Tier Ad-hoc Committee - This special committee for the 2015-2016 academic year will collaborate with the Graduate Council, and the University Top Tier committee to address graduate programming related initiatives .