Skype™ Video Financial Aid Advising
Students: Meet with a financial aid counselor without leaving home or work! The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office provides limited Skype™ financial aid advising appointments on Thursdays between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.
If this is your first time attempting to schedule a Skype™ financial aid advising appointment, please read through everything on this web page. We want your experience to be a good one.
- Schedule an appointment using your UNLV issued email address. We can’t respond to third party email addresses requesting an appointment. Use [email protected] to request your Skype™ Financial Aid Advising appointment.
- Provide in your email subject line: “Schedule Skype Appointment”.
- Provide your “Skype™ user name” within your email request.
- Provide your “NSHE student ID” within your email request. Do not use your social security number under any circumstances.
- Provide your “cell phone number” or “land line number” within your email request.
- Provide within “100 words or less” what you want to discuss within your email request.
- If you have a preference for your Thursday video advising appointment to begin at an exact time between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m., let us know. We will try to accommodate your request but can’t guarantee we can.
- When your video counseling session begins, you must show a photo ID verifying your credentials to the financial aid counselor. If you cannot provide a photo ID, the video session will regrettably be terminated.
- Use a stationary computer or tablet. Do not use a smartphone as reception may be of poor quality.
- Position yourself in a quiet environment to limit background noise and personal distractions. You can help contribute to a clear conversation.
- You will receive an email response from [email protected] within 2 business days to confirm/set up your appointment time to your UNLV issued email address.
- All appointments are scheduled for the Pacific time zone and Nevada recognizes Daylight Savings Time.
- Video advising sessions are scheduled for up to 15 minutes. If your session goes beyond 15 minutes, you may be asked to reschedule in order to maintain our other appointments.
- Video financial aid advising sessions are limited to Thursdays between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- You will be Skype™ called at your scheduled appointment time using the Skype™ name you provided in your appointment request.
- We will not communicate with someone attempting to schedule an appointment from a non-UNLV issued email account. Security is important to us. We will only recognize Skype™ financial aid video advising requests from UNLV issued email accounts.
- You don’t need to contact us for an appointment status update if 2 business days has not yet expired from the time date stamp of your original UNLV email requesting a video financial aid advising appointment.
- The [email protected] email account is only for scheduling Skype™ video financial aid advising appointments. The office does not accept requests for in-person appointments. If you would like to speak to someone in person, please visit the office.
- We can’t answer questions regarding general account information sent to [email protected]. Security is important to us. Email is not a secure medium to answer questions about your confidential account information.
- Students who are consistently late and cannot start their Skype™ financial aid advising appointment at the prescribed time will not be allowed to use this service. Our time, and the time of other students is valuable. We need to help a lot of students. Your punctuality is appreciated.
- We can’t answer Skype™ calls if you see us online and you don’t have a scheduled appointment .
- If you can’t make your video advising appointment, let us know as quickly as you can. Please don’t wait until the last minute to let us know because we could have helped another student who wanted your appointment slot.
- Your video advising session is for you only and not your friends. Once you get your question answered, the video advising session is completed. If your friends are nearby and they want to ask questions, they will need to follow our appointment procedures.
- Skype™ video financial aid advising appointments are currently limited to Thursdays between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. If we can expand this time in the future and be more accommodating, we will try to do so.
- Our financial aid video advising is very popular. If we notify you that your appointment is going to take more than one week, you may want to quickly decline the appointment and call or visit the office instead for faster results.
- Our Skype™ financial aid video advising appointment was designed for students only. We only accept appointment requests initiated from a UNLV issued email account. Parents or significant others are welcome to participate in the video financial aid advising session as long as the student remains visible to the camera and is actively engaged within the conversation.
This service may not be available at the beginning of the fall, spring or summer semesters because of large traffic volume and staffing capabilities. If this occurs, an auto response message will be sent to the student if initiating an appointment request.
Questions or concerns?
Give us a call or stop by the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office.