Use caution when you see suggestive techniques such as:
- The scholarship is guaranteed or your money back.
- You can't get this information anywhere else.
- I just need your credit card or bank account to hold the scholarship for you.
- We will do all the work for you.
- The scholarship will cost a small service fee.
- You have been selected by some foundation or you are a finalist to something you did not remember entering.
- If you delay, you will miss out on a wonderful opportunity unless you act now.
The Federal Trade Commission receives complaints each year and estimates that as many as 200 scholarship search companies may be unscrupulous, according to an article that appeared in The Washington Post.