Rebel Grad Slam Workshop
The Rebel Grad Slam (RGS) is an annual event for graduate students to showcase their research and scholarship in an engaging way. The idea is to explain who you are, what you study, why you study it, what your research question is, how you’re analyzing it, and why it matters to people outside of your field using 1 PowerPoint slide and less than 3 minutes. To prepare for the competition, we encourage graduate students to attend this workshop.
By participating in this workshop you will:
- Learn about the Rebel Grad Slam
- Learn strategies for streamlining important aspects of your research and its broader significance that help you craft an engaging 3-minute speech
- Learn how to design a slide that will stand out during the competition
- Hear from previous winners and judges who will discuss their experiences with the Rebel Grad Slam, including sharing presentation pitfalls and successes
- Work on your draft or completed presentation outline for the Rebel Grad Slam
Professional Development Academy Program: Research, Communication, Career Prep.
Professional Development Academy Pillars: GCCC, GCRC
Learning Experience: Panel
Time Commitment: < 2 hours
Lifecycle Stage: Early-Mid-Late Master’s, Early-Mid-Late Doctoral
- Nam Hoang, RGS 1st Place Winner 2019
- Johanna Andrews, RGS 3rd Place Winner 2019
- Jason Avedesian, RGS 2nd Place Winner 2019
- Dr. Toni Repetti, Chair & Associate Professor, Hospitality, RGS Judge
This workshop is open to graduate students. Please RSVP at least 24 hours in advance for the workshop.