Preparing for Life Post-Graduate School: Exploring Non-Academic Career Pathways and Translating Your Skill-set to Prospective Employers
This workshop is designed to help graduate students better understand the various career pathways that are available to them after they finish their advanced degree, including how to find where non-academic jobs are posted. Related to this, a common question that many graduate students and postdoctoral scholars who are preparing to compete on the non-academic job market ask is: “How do I prove to my prospective employer that I am qualified, even though I lack direct industry or non-academy experience?” The key is to learn how to translate the skills, knowledge, and abilities you have gained in graduate school to a broad audience.
By participating in this workshop you will:
- Learn about where non-academic jobs are posted (e.g., The Chronicle of Philanthropy, Indeed, USAJobs, and The Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Discuss how to use your networks, which are often key to new career opportunities
- Discuss how to explore alternative career options while still a graduate student (volunteering, internships, etc.)
- Identify knowledge, abilities, and skills which can be applied to a wide range of industries and jobs
- Gain insight into skills and personal traits that are most sought after my employers
- Learn about strategies to continue to develop your transferable skills
- Work on articulating these transferable skills to diverse stakeholders with confidence
Professional Development Academy Program: Post-Graduate Career Pathways Program
Professional Development Academy Pillars: Career Prep
Learning Experience: Panel
Time Commitment: < 2 hours
Lifecycle Stage: Mid, Late Master’s & Mid, Late Doctoral
- Christopher West, Regional Vice President, HCA Healthcare
- Kalie Randlett, Talent Acquisition Manager at Barton Associates
- Madison Fox, Talent Acquisition Specialist at Barton Associates
- Richard Derrick, City Manager, City of Henderson
- Brett Meadors, Training and Implementation Manager, Renhead
This workshop is open to UNLV graduate students and postdoctoral scholars. Please RSVP at least 24 hours in advance for the workshop.
The Graduate College is now using Event Pass for all events and workshops. For easy check-in at the event, generate an Event Pass QR code by visiting involvementcenter.unlv.edu, signing in with your ACE account, clicking on the profile icon in the top right, and choosing Event Pass. This QR code can be used for all UNLV Graduate College events and workshops, so save it to your Apple Wallet, Google Pay, or photos. Attendees without an ACE account will be checked in by the Graduate College team on the day of the event.
Graduate College and Career Services.