Overcoming Imposter Syndrome Workshop
Have you ever thought to yourself:
- “I have no idea why my department picked me. I did not deserve to be accepted to the program.”
- “My committee members and chair have no idea who I really am. Any day now, they will figure out that I am a fraud!”
- “It was just a fluke that my article was accepted.”
Many graduate students are impacted by imposter syndrome, or the feeling that they do not belong and that they do not deserve to be where they are and that they will be exposed as an “imposter” or “fraud.” There are also difficulties in internalizing professional accomplishments and believing that the success was due to luck or good timing. This workshop will help you combat the imposter syndrome. You do belong and you are not a fraud.
By participating in this workshop, you will:
- Learn what is the Imposter Syndrome
- Discuss who experiences imposter feelings
- Discuss the lasting impact of imposter syndrome
- Learn strategies for overcoming imposter syndrome and surviving and thriving in graduate school
Professional Development Academy Program: N/A
Professional Development Academy Pillars: Wellness
Learning Experience: Interactive
Time Commitment: < 2 hours
Lifecycle Stage: Early, Mid, Late Master’s & Early, Mid, Late Doctoral
- Dr. Katherine Isaza, Psychologist, Student Wellness Center
This workshop is open to UNLV graduate students and postdoctoral scholars. Please RSVP at least 24 hours in advance for the workshop.
The Graduate College is now using Event Pass for all events and workshops. For easy check-in at the event, generate an Event Pass QR code by visiting involvementcenter.unlv.edu, signing in with your ACE account, clicking on the profile icon in the top right, and choosing Event Pass. This QR code can be used for all UNLV Graduate College events and workshops, so save it to your Apple Wallet, Google Pay, or photos. Attendees without an ACE account will be checked in by the Graduate College team on the day of the event.
Webex Meeting Link: https://unlv.webex.com/unlv/j.php?MTID=m0e739ee1bdc3b552a8811fbe59c9c331
Webex Meeting Password: YMpcdyyy
Graduate College and Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS).