Writing a strong letter of recommendation is an essential part of any successful application. In many cases, it is the letter of recommendation that determines whether an undergraduate student is awarded a particular scholarship, fellowship, or grant. Oftentimes a generic letter of recommendation can actually hurt the student applicant, and thus it is important for the letter writer to tailor each letter of recommendation to the specific student applicant and discuss their academic attributes. This workshop will discuss the components of a strong letter of recommendation.
Learning Objectives: By participating in this workshop you will:
- Understand how a letter of recommendation can impact a student applicant
- Learn the components of a strong recommendation letter
- Be able to apply the strategies of writing a strong letter of recommendation
- Levent Atici, Executive Director, Office of Undergraduate Research
- Melissa Bowles-Terry, Director of the Faculty Center