OUR: How to Read Like a Scholar
Research has shown that reading with a purpose and active mindset leads to retention of more information for a longer time period. Active reading, at the most fundamental level, refers to an active process of questioning that helps one determine what one’s needs are and whether the material is worth reading in the first place; then, it provides a context and framework for learning. In this interactive workshop, students will be introduced to the tenants of active reading and, in addition, will be provided with an active reading exercise. Students who are considering graduate or professional school are highly encouraged to register for this workshop.
Learning Objectives: By participating in this workshop you will:
- Better understand conventional structures of text
- Better understand the mechanics of reading with an active stance; i.e., critical and strategic reading
- Read faster, comprehend better, and retain longer
- Develop self-awareness, self-control, flexibility and choice, and purpose when reading
- Dr. Levent Atici, Executive Director, Office of Undergraduate Research
This workshop is free to all UNLV students.
The Office of Undergraduate Research is using Event Pass for all events and workshops. If you are new to Event Pass, please access this link to get familiarized with the platform. If you already have an Event Pass account, please RSVP by clicking on the red button below.