MSI Student Success Summit
President Keith E. Whitfield will host an MSI Student Success Summit for the campus community in the Student Union.
Whitfield will kick off the summit, sharing his vision for student success at UNLV, and the university's role and responsibilities as a Minority-Serving, Hispanic-Serving and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving institution.
The summit will be open to all faculty, staff, and students. The summit will include plenary sessions by UNLV experts on equity and inclusion, exploring:
- What MSI means for UNLV
- Best practices in educational equity
The day's events also will include a poster session, a student panel discussing what it means to be successful at UNLV, and a series of break-out sessions:
- Students: Sessions will be from noon to 1 p.m. and at 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. to accommodate most class schedules, and will cover leadership development, peer mentorship, careers in student affairs (organized by the office of Student Diversity and Social Justice, and the Student Success Team)
- Student Success Research: Session attendees share ongoing research projects and best practices at UNLV (organized by office of Decision Support, Student Life Assessment)
- Equity in the Classroom/Pedagogy: Session showcases examples of UNLV faculty employing inclusive teaching practices in the classroom and online (organized by The Faculty Center, office of Online Education)
Student Affairs is livestreaming the morning session on YouTube for those attending virtually.
8:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.: Registration and Networking
9 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.: Welcome by Provost Heavey Opening Remarks by President Whitfield
9:40 a.m. to 10:40 a.m.: Plenary Session: Featured Speaker, Cathy N. Davidson
10:45 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.: Student Stories Panel: What does it means to be a successful UNLV student?
11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Lunch
12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m.: Breakout Sessions Organized by Interest Tracks
- Students: leadership development, peer mentorship, careers in student affairs (organized by SDSJ and Student Success Team)
- Student Success Research: ongoing research projects to identify best practices at UNLV (organized by Office of Decision Support, Student Affairs Assessment)
- Equity in the Classroom/Pedagogy: Examples of UNLV faculty employing inclusive teaching practices in the classroom and online (organized by The Faculty Center, Office of Online Education)
12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m.: Poster Session (open to all faculty and staff to submit proposals)
2 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.: Closing Remarks
6 p.m. to 7 p.m.: Q&A with Student Plenary Speaker
Open to students, faculty and staff. For health and safety reasons, it is important that we have complete registration information for all attendees.
The Student Success Team