Liftoff with Math 2014 will give middle school students an opportunity to participate in a concentrated week-long, space-orientated mathematical and computer sciences experience. Campers will be exposed to a wide variety of mathematical applications such as space mathematics, computer simulation, geolocation, interpretation of data from space, and statistical techniques.
Additionally, students will participate in competitive sports activities in conjunction with the concurrent UNLV College of Education and the National Youth Sports Program.
This program is designed to challenge students with opportunities to learn and explore the applied aspects of mathematics.
- Demonstrate the daily use of mathematics
- Learn how to use mathematics to model natural phenomena
- Become familiar with modern techniques of mathematical computer simulation
- Model lightning from data provided by NASA
- Gain mathematical test taking strategies
- Complete a space related project for exhibit at the final awards ceremony
- Participate in daily supervised competitive sports activities
Campers will stay in a UNLV dormitory and eat meals in the campus dining commons.