Hiking Ice Box Canyon, Red Rock Canyon
2.4 miles - Difficulty Level: Strenuous
This trail takes you through a cool, shady box canyon in the heart of Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. The narrow canyon rarely sees sunlight, and the cool water and air pouring down from the mountains keep it significantly cooler than the open desert. You will have to cross the open desert to get there and scramble on boulders & loose rocks within the wash to get to the end of the canyon.
The price includes lunch and round trip transportation and park entry fees.
- 8:00 am – Please meet us in the Student Recreation & Wellness Center in front of the Outdoor Adventure office in the lobby. We will check you in and participate in a team builder exercise.
- 8:30 - 9:30 am – Depart from UNLV to Red Rock Canyon (approximately a 45-minute drive to Red Rock Canyon and an additional 15-minute drive via the scenic road to the trailhead.)
- 9:30 - 9:45 am – Arrive at the Ice Box Canyon Trailhead. Stretch and prepare for the hike. (Pit toilets available here.)
- 9:45 - 10:30 am – Hike Ice Box Canyon (1.2 miles)
- 10:30 - 11:30 am – Eat lunch.
- 11:30 am - 12:15 pm – Hike back to the van. (1.2 miles)
- 12:15 - 1:00 pm – Depart from Ice Box Canyon Trailhead to UNLV. Approx. 45 min drive.
- 1:00 pm* – Arrive back at UNLV.
- Shoes that you can hike in, tennis shoes are fine.
- Clothes that are comfortable and that you can move in.
- At least 3 liters of water. Make sure these bottles are full before you leave campus.
- A small backpack to carry your water and food in.
This event is open to the public. Registration due by 5:00 p.m. on April 30, 2019.
- $28 for Students and Members
- $38 for Non-members
Registration includes the completion of the Health History form and the Trip Waiver. Both of these documents require a printed signature.
More info on this event
UNLV Outdoor Adventures and LEADing Edge