Hiking and Camping at Great Basin National Park, NV
Camp and explore Great Basin National Park. Witness the power of nature as we hike through natural rock formations made thousands of years ago by glaciers.
-Included in price: All equipment, park entry fees, 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches (breakfast and lunch on first day is not included), 2 dinners and snacks, and round trip transportation from UNLV-
Friday, June 28
- 8:00am-8:40am Please meet us in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center in front of the Outdoor Adventure office in the lobby, ready for departure. Participate in some icebreakers. Load personal gear into vans.
- 8:40am-3:00pm Vans depart. Drive 5 h 34 min (317 mi) to Lexington Arch Trailhead. Stop for lunch along the way (on your own, not included in trip price, 45 min allotted for lunch and stops).
- 3:00pm-5:00pm Hike 2.9 mi on Lexington Arch Trail.
- 5:00pm-6:30pm Drive 1.5 hours (39 mi.) to Sacramento Pass BLM Campground.
- 6:30pm-7:30pm Cook dinner while other set up camp. Eat.
- 7:30pm+ Free time
Saturday, June 29
- 8:00am-9:30am Breakfast and get ready for the day. Distribute snacks and make lunch. Leave camp set up.
- 9:30am- 9:45am Drive 15min to Great Basin National Park Visitor Center (15.2 miles)
- 9:45am- 10:30am Explore the visitor center, buy souvenirs, pack a lunch in backpacks for when we arrive at trail.
- 10:30am-11:10am Drive 40 min. To Wheeler Peak Trail via Stella Lake Trail (17 mile drive). Hike is 8.2 miles.
- 11:05am-12:30pm Hike about 2.5 miles. (Or can stop at Stella Lake 1 mi. In to eat).
- 12:30pm-1:30pm Break for lunch.
- 1:30pm-4:30pm Hike rest of trail.
- 4:30pm-5:10pm Drive 40 min. back to campground.
- 5:10pm-6:10pm Cook and eat dinner.
- 6:10pm+ Free time. Sunset 8:07pm.
- 8:30pm-8:40pm Engage in a star gazing activity (optional).
Sunday, June 30
- 7:30am-9:30am Breakfast and get ready for the day. Pack up camp.
- 9:30am-12:30pm Drive to Quail Creek State Park.
- 12:30pm-1:15pm Have lunch.
- 1:15pm-3:30pm Free time to swim, hike, or rent Kayaks or Stand Up Paddle Boards ($20 for first hour, 2 hours is $25, this is in addition to trip cost).
- 3:30pm-5:40pm* Drive 2 hours and 9 min back to the SRWC.
- 5:40pm-6:00pm Help unload gear from the trailer.
- Socks and Shoes.
- Clothes that you can move comfortably in and that will keep you warm.
- We recommend wearing three layers:
- A base layer for wicking away sweat. (We recommend synthetic fabric like polyester, not cotton. Yoga pants under your main pants).
- A mid layer for insulation (We recommend fleece).
- An outer layer (Waterproof if possible and your warmest jacket).
- Hat, gloves.
- Sunscreen and chapstick.
- A packed lunch or money to eat at the lodge restaurant (restaurant is probably pricey).
- At least 2 liters of water. Make sure these bottles are full before you leave campus.
- A small backpack to carry your water and food in.
- A change of dry clothes to wear home.
- Money for souvenirs and lunch on the drive home.
Any questions about this trip or trip preparation should be directed to: email@example.com 702-774-7130
*Times of arrival back onto campus are estimated and due to change without notice
To Register: Please call our office at (702) 774-7130 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
UNLV Outdoor Adventures