Reception 5:30 – 6:00 pm | Main Event 6:00 – 7:30 pm
Greenspun Hall Auditorium, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Brookings Mountain West, in partnership with the UNLV Debate Team, was proud to host the inaugural UNLV - Brookings Institution event, “The Great Debate.” Representatives from the nationally ranked UNLV Debate Team engaged colleagues from the Brookings Institution in a battle of ideas and policy positions destined to be remembered as one of the great intellectual forums of the 21st century.
THE TOPIC: "Should the U.S. adopt single-payer national health insurance?"
Featured speakers participated in a modified format of intercollegiate debate rules that allowed teams and individual members the opportunity to craft their arguments and responses in an open and respectful exchange of information to persuade, inform, and entertain audience members.
- The UNLV Debate team of Ember Smith/Jeffrey Horn adopted the affirmative position on this topic and presented arguments for why the U.S. should adopt single-payer national health insurance.
- The Brookings Institution team of John Hudak/Richard Reeves adopted the negative position on this topic and presented arguments for why the U.S. should not adopt single-payer national health insurance.
Through a series of brief statements and responses, team members attempted to demonstrate superior knowledge of the topic and ability to analyze and dissect their opponent’s statements. The 2019 contenders in “The Great Debate” are well qualified to represent their respective institutions with distinction, possessing demonstrated expertise in public speaking, policy research, and debate forums.
- Richard Reeves, Brookings Senior Fellow in Economic Studies | Director - Future of the Middle Class Initiative
- John Hudak, Brookings Senior Fellow in Governance Studies | Deputy Director - Center for Effective Public Management
- Ember Smith, UNLV Debate Team | UNLV Junior and Economics Major | UNLV Honors College
- Jeffrey Horn, UNLV Debate Team | UNLV Senior and Economics Major