Graduate Student Healthcare Info Session
In May 2013, the Graduate & Professional Student Association (GPSA) passed a motion to recommend that all fully admitted graduate and professional students taking 9 credits or more per semester, and all graduate assistants, must have health insurance coverage either through UNLV or their own carrier. In June 2013, the NSHE Board of Regents supported and approved this proposal. As a result, the mandatory hard waiver student health insurance policy went into effect for the fall 2013 semester. What does this mean? Students who are admitted into a graduate program and are enrolled in 9 credits or more (regardless of the course level) in a semester, all graduate assistants, and all Law students enrolled in 12 credits or more will be automatically billed for student health insurance. It is then incumbent upon those students who already have health insurance to complete the online waiver form to waive out of the UNLV student health insurance. Once approved, a health insurance waiver is good for one academic year.
UNLV is now partnered with Academic HealthPlans (AHP) and offers student wellness checks at the Student Health and Wellness Center on campus.
By participating in this workshop you will:
- Understand what services are available at the Student Health and Wellness
- Center on Campus and how to be referred to specialists off campus.
- Learn how to schedule an appointment on the UNLV Wellness View portal
- Learn about Health Insurance Fees covered by Financial Aid
- Review how to submit a Health Insurance Waiver
Professional Development Academy Program: N/A
Professional Development Academy Pillars: Wellness
Learning Experience: Lecture
Time Commitment: < 2 hours
Lifecycle Stage: Early-Mid-Late Master’s, Early-Mid-Late Doctoral
- Ellen Bolt, Program Officer 1, Student Wellness
- Theresa Afos, Finance Manager, Student Wellness
- Kourtney Buhler, Registered Nurse, Student Wellness
This workshop is open to graduate students. Please RSVP at least 24 hours in advance for the workshop.