A key part of every graduate application is the personal statement. In it, you explain who you are, your values, and why you are pursuing a graduate education. But what exactly should you write, and how vulnerable should you be? This workshop will answer these questions and teach you how to craft a strong message. You will also learn how to format a statement of purpose and seek feedback from mentors and peers.
By participating in this workshop you will:
- Be able to distinguish between the statement of purpose and the personal statement
- Understand the components of an effective personal statement
- Receive helpful tips on preparing, organizing, writing, and editing your personal statement
- Learn about tone and how to personalize your personal statement
- Workshop your own personal statement
The Grad Academy Pillars: Career Prep.
The Grad Academy Program: Grad Rebel Advantage
Learning Experience: Lecture
Time Commitment: < 2 hours
- Dr. Emily Shreve, Associate Director of Academic Transitions