GC: Non-Academic Job Offer and Salary Negotiation
According to a study conducted by the staffing firm Robert Half, only 39% of workers said they negotiated their salary during their last job offer. The study also found that men were more likely to negotiate their salary compared to women (46% vs. 34%). While most employers would likely agree that salary negotiations are appropriate if done in a professional manner, many graduate students and postdoctoral scholars are afraid of this process or unsure how to initiate it.
By participating in this workshop you will:
- Understand non-academic job offers from a variety of employment sectors, including what you should do when you receive a job offer and how to evaluate one
- Learn strategies for how to negotiate your job offer to better set you up for success
- Learn when it is most appropriate to bring up salary negotiations
- Discuss what items are more negotiable than others
The Grad Academy Pillars: Career Prep, Communication
The Grad Academy Program: PGCPP
Learning Experience: Interactive
Lifecycle Stage: Mid-Late Masters; Mid-Late-Doctoral
- Ericka Smith, UNLV Vice President for Human Resources & Chief People Officer
- Tracy Sperry, Recruitment Manager at Robert Half
- Charlie Castonguay, Assistant Vice President of Campus Programs, Credit One Bank
This workshop is open to UNLV students. Please log in to your Grad Rebel Gateway account and click on The Grad Academy tab to RSVP for this workshop.