GC: Getting Started with Online & Hybrid Teaching
When taught well, hybrid courses and online courses can be profound and rewarding experiences for students and teachers alike. But teaching these courses well is difficult because their formats introduce challenges and expectations not had when teaching in person. Some of these challenges include:
- Ensuring students get equitable access to the teacher and resources.
- Cultivating a lively and engaging classroom environment.
- Increasing low feelings of motivation and connection among teacher and students because of asynchronous interactions.
There are many more challenges, and nearly all can be addressed or at least minimized by applying sound pedagogical techniques. At this workshop, attendees will learn both foundational and newer techniques from experienced educators. After the workshop, attendees will be better prepared to teach hybrid and online courses compassionately, equitably, and effectively.
By participating in this workshop you will:
- Learn the basics for creating online & hybrid courses.
- Learn how to effectively deliver content in a virtual setting.
- Introduce tools to improve acquisition and retention of new knowledge and skills.
The Grad Academy Pillars: Teaching, Communication
The Grad Academy Program: GTC
Learning Experience: Lecture
Lifecycle Stage: Mid-Late Master’s, Mid-Late Doctoral
- Dr. Van “DocDoc” Whaley, Assistant Professor-in-Residence and Lab Coordinator for Anatomy and Physiology, Department of Kinesiology & Nutrition Sciences
This workshop is open to UNLV students. Please log in to your Grad Rebel Gateway account and click on The Grad Academy tab to RSVP for this workshop.