GC: Academic Job Offer and Salary Negotiation
Salary negotiation is a cumbersome and harrowing topic to discuss with your boss or potential employer. Conversations regarding pay customarily have been discouraged early on in the interview process. Unfortunately, if it is avoided all together, we get out of practice when the topic emerges. Most would rather accept the first offer for fear of seeing it withdrawn. While academic jobs and offers differ from non-academic ones, negotiating your salary is important. Transparency about salaries and start up packages can make workplaces more equitable, ensure you get the best compensation for your qualifications and skills, and set the trajectory for future raises.
By participating in this workshop you will:
- Understand academic job offers, including what you should do when you receive an offer and how to evaluate one
- Learn strategies for how to negotiate your job offer to maximize your personal and professional satisfaction as a future faculty member
- Learn when it is most appropriate to bring up salary negotiations
- Discuss what items are more negotiable than others (e.g., salary, startup funds, moving support, teaching releases, etc.)
The Grad Academy Pillars: Career Prep, Communication
The Grad Academy Program: GRC, GTC, GMC, PGCPP
Learning Experience: Interactive
Lifecycle Stage: Mid-Late Masters; Mid-Late-Doctoral
- Dr. Kimberly Nehls, Interim Assistant Dean for External Relations
This workshop is open to UNLV students. Please log in to your Grad Rebel Gateway account and click on The Grad Academy tab to RSVP for this workshop.