Diversity Leadership Forum
Please join the Office of Diversity Initiatives as they mark Black History month with a forum discussion moderated by Clark County Commissioner Lawrence Weekly. The discussion will be on how the U.S. recession affected the Las Vegas African-American community. Panelist will focus on education, healthcare and job employment challenges.
The diversity leadership forum brings together community and campus leaders to offer perspectives on key social and economic issues impacting various communities in Southern Nevada. The event will begin with remarks from Luis Valera, UNLV vice president for diversity initiatives and government relations, and Rainier Spencer, founder and professor of the UNLV Afro-American studies program.
6 p.m. - 7 p.m. – welcome reception
7 p.m. - 8 p.m. – panel discussion
8 p.m. – 9 p.m. – Q&A from the audience
- Lawrence Weekly, Clark County commissioner (moderator)
- Melva Thompson-Robinson, associate professor of environmental and occupational health at UNLV
- Theodore Ransaw, UNLV doctoral student in teaching and learning
- Steven Brooks, Nevada state assemblyman, District 19
- Shaundell Newsome, owner of Sumnu Marketing, past board member of 100 Black Men of Las Vegas
- Ms. Jerrie Merritt, executive vice president & regional president, Bank of Nevada
This event is free and open to the public.
Office: Office of Diversity Initiatives