Join the Marjorie Barrick Museum of Art from 12 - 5 pm on Saturday, December 21, 2019, for a day of free all-ages art exploration and hands-on creativity. Participants are invited to create zines, murals, microscope drawings, and illustrations in a range of media. Listen to live cello music by Kayla Quijano while you enjoy coffee, hot chocolate, and snacks during a day of belonging and making.
- 12 pm: Tour of the current exhibition, Connective Tissue by Amanda Phingbodhipakkiya.
- Join the Marjorie Barrick Museum of Art staff for a guided tour of the exhibits and the ideas that connect them.
- 1 - 4 pm: Become an artist and scientist just like Amanda Phingbodhipakkiya.
- Explore and create with the UNLV Scientista Foundation, UNLV’s chapter of the global network for college campus women in STEM. Use pocket microscopes to explore the unseen and then draw what is revealed.
- 1 - 4 pm: Petri Dish Eyeglasses
- An all-ages craft based on the mural work in Connective Tissue by Amanda Phingbodhipakkiya.
- 1 - 4 pm: Comic Strip and Beginner Illustration Workshop with Jean Munson.
- Create your own artwork with UNLV instructor and local artist Jean Munson as she demonstrates the basics of illustration and comic strip design and narrative.
- 1 - 4 pm: Create a Mural with Sage
- Join Las Vegas artist Sage aka Theresheis to learn her process as you draw, cut, and paste your art and add it to a new mural.
- 1 - 4 pm: Create a Zine with Starshine Christian
- Join local Zinester Starshine as she teaches you about zines, and guides you in creating your own. All materials are provided.
- 1 - 1:45 pm: Learning from Young Artists Series: Collage with Bailey Douglas
- Create collage art with nine-year-old local artist Bailey Douglas. All materials are provided and you’ll have a piece of art to take home with you.
- 2 - 2:45 pm: Learning from Young Artists Series: Paint with Lola Hernandez
- Learn to paint with fourteen-year-old local artist Lola Hernandez. All materials are provided and you’ll have a piece of art to take home with you.
- 4 pm: Music in the Museum: Experience the beauty of the cello performed by UNLV student Kayla Quijano.
This event is organized by Dan Hernandez, Barrick Museum of Art Education and Programming Assistant and Department of Art BFA senior. Create, Connect, Explore is inspired by Hernandez's commitment to creating a space of belonging for families in the arts and higher education. This event is a culmination of his final project for the Barrick Museum of Art ART489 Internship.