Casino Auditing for Gaming Regulators
The objective of this three-day course is to provide attendees with an in-depth understanding of the complexities of auditing casinos from a regulatory perspective. Attendees will also learn the process of developing effective internal control standards using a risk-based approach.
- Planning a Casino Regulatory Audit. Attendees will learn effective aspects of effectively planning an audit, assess key risk factors, and development of audit programs.
- Analyzing Casino Financial Statements. This session examines the types of financial information typically developed in the casino environment, key components of financial information, and analytical tools for analyzing financial information.
- Casino Internal Control Standards. Attendees will learn how to use a risk-based approach for developing and evaluating casino internal control standards, assessing mitigating controls and consideration of cost-benefit factors.
- Internal Audit Function. This session analyzes the casino internal audit function, including assessing independence, evaluating the effectiveness of internal audit and using internal audit results in determining the scope of a regulatory audit.
- Casino Management Systems. Attendees will learn the fundamentals of a casino management system, ticket-in; ticket-out systems, cage and credit operations, financial reporting systems and risks for fraudulent activity.
- Understanding Table Games Statistics. Attendees will learn about house advantages of various games, techniques used to analyze statistical information and the impacts of credit play and promotional schemes.
- Understanding Slot Machine Statistics. This session discusses the development of theoretical hold percentages, analyzing actual hold percentages and the impacts of progressive payouts, bonus pays and other promotions.
- Cage Operations. Attendees will learn the components of cage operations, including analyzing typical cage documentation.
- Credit Play and Collections. This session provides insights into the extension of casino credit and the collection process, including understanding the pitfalls.
Dennis Amerine, CPA is a former Member of the Nevada Gaming Control Board and Chief of the Board’s Audit Division. He has assisted numerous governments around the world in the development of internationally accepted regulatory standards and has trained hundreds of regulators on the essentials of regulating the casino gaming industry.
Lynda Hartzell, CPA; CFE is a former Chief of the Nevada Gaming Control Board’s Audit Division. She has served as a consulting manager for a CPA firm, a Senior Accountant and Senior Audit Manager.
Rick Hector has over 30 years of experience auditing casinos for the Internal Revenue Service and has provided training for hundreds of gaming regulators around the world.
Stephanie Maddocks is an expert in casino IT systems. She has assisted numerous casinos in the implementation of casino management systems and the integration of systems within the resort casino environment.
*Instructors are subject to change.