This trip highlights some of the most beautiful and diverse scenery in the High Sierras.The unique features of High Sierra Lakes provide an exquisite backdrop for a day of Canoeing. We will also spend a day hiking around some high country trails.
Difficulty Level: Crystal Lake Trail (3.1 miles, moderate), Hike Lower Falls via Devils Postpile trail (6 miles, easy), Canoe 2 hours on Convict Lake (beginner friendly).
-2 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 2 dinners, and snacks, camping gear, and round trip transportation are included in the price of this trip-
Friday, July 12
- 8:00am-8:30am Please meet us in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center in front of the Outdoor Adventure office in the lobby, ready for departure. Distribute snacks. Participate in Icebreakers. Load van with gear.
- 8:30am-2:30pm Drive 5.5 hours (plus 1 hour for stops) (313 mi) to dispersed campground outside Sherwin Creek Campground, CA. Eat lunch along the way (not included in trip price).
- 2:30pm-3:30pm Set up camp.
- 3:30pm-4:10pm Drive approx 36 minutes (6.8 mi) to Crystal Lake Trailhead.
- 4:10pm-5:50pm Hike 3.1 miles.
- 5:50pm-6:30pm Drive back to the campsite 36 minutes (6.8 mi).
- 6:30pm-7:30pm Cook and eat dinner.
- 7:30pm+ Free time
Saturday, July 13
- 7:30am-8:00am Wake up and get ready for the day.
- 8:00am-9:00am Cook and eat breakfast
- 9:00am-10:00am Drive 1 hr (16 miles) from Sherwin Creek campground to Lower Falls via Devils Postpile trail. Pack a lunch for the trail.
- 10:00am-12:00pm Hike Lower Falls via Devils Postpile trail for 6 miles and have lunch along the trail.
- 12:00pm-1:00pm Lunch.
- 1:00pm-4:00pm Continue hike.
- 4:00pm-5:00pm Drive back to campground. 1 hr (16 miles).
- 5:00pm-6:00pm Cook and eat dinner.
- 6:00pm+ Free time.
Sunday, July 14
- 7:00am-8:00am Wake up and eat breakfast
- 8:00am-9:00am Break down camp.
- 9:00am-9:30am Drive 30 min (9.4 miles) to Convict Lake.
- 9:30am-11:30am Canoe Convict Lake and take in the scenery.
- 11:30am- 5:15pm* Load up canoes and drive back 5 hour 15 min (30 min. added for stops) (310mi) to campus.
- Shoes that you can hike in, tennis shoes are fine.
- Sandals that you can wear around camp and can get wet on the last day.
- Clothes that are comfortable and that you can move in. Multiple layers so that you can take off layers as you get warm.
- At least 2 liters of water. Make sure these bottles are full before you leave campus.
- A towel.
- Bathing suit.
- A few plastic grocery bags to pack out your wet/dirty clothes in.
- Personal medications.
Any questions about this trip or trip preparation should be directed to:
UNLV Outdoor Adventures office firstname.lastname@example.org 702-774-7130
Hannah Doss email@example.com 702-774-7125
*Times of arrival back onto campus are estimated and may change without notice