Camping and Hiking in Mt. Charleston
Camping and Hiking Mt. Charleston, NV
Hike: 5-7 miles total, Difficulty Level: Moderately Strenuous
On this two day trip, we’ll set up camp on Mt. Charleston and sleep under a night sky full of stars. On the second day we’ll hike Echo Cliffs, this trail climbs 1,500 feet as it passes through a mixed pine-fir forest, meanders through an avalanche chute, and finally switchbacks up the side of the canyon to the top of the Echo Cliffs from where the views up and down the canyon are grand. We'll also hike Little Falls. This trail runs up into a narrow cleft in the limestone cliffs and ends in a narrow box-canyon at the base of a seasonal waterfall.
-Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks, round trip transportation and camping equipment are included in the price of this trip-
Saturday, April 13
- 3:00pm Please meet us in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center in front of the Outdoor Adventure office in the lobby, ready for departure.
- 3:30pm-4:30pm Vans depart. Ride approximately 1 hour to the Mack’s Campground.
- 4:30pm-5:15pm Set up camp
- 5:15pm-6:15pm Eat dinner
- 6:15pm-7: 00 pm Play Escape Room Game at the campsite
- 7:00pm-8: 00 pm Explore Mack’s Campground and surrounding area. Watch the sunset at approx. 7:50 pm.
- 8:00pm+ Free time.
Sunday, April 14
- 7:00am-8: 00 am Wake up and make breakfast.
- 8:00am-9: 00 am Pack up camp and pack lunches for the day.
- 9:00am-9:45am Drive approx. 45 min to Echo Overlook trail
- 9:45am-1: 30 pm Hike the Echo Overlook and Little Falls Trail for 5.0 miles.
- Eat lunch at Little Falls.
- 1:30pm-2:30pm* Drive approx. an hour back to campus.
- Shoes that you can hike in, tennis shoes are fine.
- Clothes that you can move comfortably in and that will keep you cool.
- At least 2 liters of water. Make sure these bottles are full before you leave campus.
- A small backpack to carry your water and food in.
This event is open to the public. Registration Due by 5:00 p.m. on April 9, 2019.
- $59 for Students and Members
- $84 for Non-members
Registration includes the completion of the Health History form and the Trip Waiver. Both of these documents require a printed signature. These documents may be submitted by email to email@example.com or in person in the UNLV Outdoor Adventures office.
More info on this event
UNLV Outdoor Adventures and LEADing Edge