Join Alternative Break Trips this year as a staff site leader! This is a unique opportunity on your campus to support student site leaders as they lead service and social justice trips across the southwest. Alternative Break Trips (Alt Breaks) are part of the national movement of co-curricular experiences where students take a week to explore service-learning through related volunteer work, presentations from local nonprofits, and nightly reflections.
Staff and faculty are important partners to support the student site leaders and participants, helping manage trip logistics, supporting risk management, and sometimes co-facilitating reflection. Some specific responsibilities as a staff site leader include attending spring Site Leader Trainings, setting up at least one meeting with student site leaders, serving as primary driver on our breaks, and attending the post reunion event. Since staff traveling with an Alt Break are traveling in a working capacity, all trip costs associated with the University trip are covered (except for items purchased during free time or discretionary spending).
March trips (meetings - March 8, 15, and 22):
- San Diego- Immigration at the U.S.-Mexico Border
- Kanab, Utah- Animal Rights and Welfare
- Carson City- Native American History and Culture
- Los Angeles- Mass Incarceration and Breaking the Prison Pipeline
May trips (meetings - April 19 and 26):
- Catalina Island- Ecology: Balancing Conservation and Recreation
- Los Angeles- Exploring LGBTQIA+ Perspectives at the Intersections
Applications are due by January 17, 2018.