Many graduate students fear the negotiation process because they have little or no experience negotiating academic job offers. In addition, they are not sure how to discuss start-up packages or know what should be part of a hiring package (e.g., health insurance, retirement, etc.).
By participating in this workshop you will:
- Understand academic job offers, including what you should do when you receive a job offer and how to evaluate one
- Learn strategies for how to negotiate your job offer to maximize your personal and professional satisfaction as a future faculty member
- Learn when it is most appropriate to bring up salary negotiations
- Discuss what items are more negotiable than others (e.g., salary, startup funds, moving support, teaching releases, etc.)
PDA Type: PGCPP
PDA Pillars: Career Prep.
Learning Experience: TBD
Time Commitment: < 2 hours
Lifecycle Stage: Mid- & Late-Masters; Mid- & Late-Doctoral
- Kim Nehls, PhD, Executive Director, Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE)