Academic Job Offer and Salary Negotiations Workshop
Many graduate students fear the negotiation process because they have little or no experience negotiating academic job offers. In addition, they are not sure how to discuss start-up packages or know what should be part of a hiring package (e.g., health insurance, retirement, etc.).
By participating in this workshop you will:
- Understand academic job offers, including what you should do when you receive a job offer and how to evaluate one
- Learn strategies for how to negotiate your job offer to maximize your personal and professional satisfaction as a future faculty member
- Learn when it is most appropriate to bring up salary negotiations
- Discuss what items are more negotiable than others (e.g., salary, startup funds, moving support, teaching releases, etc.)
PDA Type: PGCPP
PDA Pillars: Career Prep.
Learning Experience: TBD
Time Commitment: < 2 hours
Lifecycle Stage: Mid- & Late-Masters; Mid- & Late-Doctoral
- Kim Nehls, PhD, Executive Director, Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE)
This workshop is open to UNLV graduate students and postdoctoral scholars. Please RSVP at least 24 hours in advance for the workshop.
The Graduate College is now using Event Pass for all events and workshops. For easy check-in at the event, generate an Event Pass QR code by visiting involvementcenter.unlv.edu, signing in with your ACE account, clicking on the profile icon in the top right, and choosing Event Pass. This QR code can be used for all UNLV Graduate College events and workshops, so save it to your Apple Wallet, Google Pay, or photos.