The English Language Center offers two certificate programs which provide students with a marketable skill endorsement in English language proficiency as well as an alternative pathway for admission into a UNLV major.
Admission and Placement
- Incoming AEP and CAP students must apply through UNLV Admissions.
- Students who want to earn certificates in English language proficiency are placed in classes based on their Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency (MTELP) overall score.
- Overall MTELP score of 60 places students in the Advanced English Proficiency Certificate (AEP).
- Overall MTELP score of 70 places students in the Certificate of Academic Proficiency in English (CAP).
- Completion of the Certificate of Academic Proficiency in English (CAP) with a GPA of 3.0 in all classes results in a waiver of the TOEFL, IELTS, or MTELP admission requirement.
Registration and Classes
- Students register for AEP and CAP classes in MyUNLV.