Supporting Our Students (S.O.S.) Emergency Relief Fund
The Supporting Our Students (S.O.S.) Emergency Student Relief Fund provides both one-time (per academic year) funding when assistance is needed with unexpected emergency situations as well as sustained financial coaching to develop budgetary literacy skills.
All current UNLV undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to apply for S.O.S. funding in instances including but not limited to the following:
- Illness (self or dependent)
- Death of a family member
- Fire damage (home or property)
- Need for temporary housing
- Food insecurity
- Applicants must have a financial hardship resulting from a sudden or unexpected occurrence especially of need for help or relief;
- Applicants must be currently enrolled UNLV students;
- Applicants must be in good academic standing (Undergraduate GPA 2.0 or Graduate GPA 2.75) and conduct with UNLV;
- All other resources must have been considered and are insufficient, unavailable, or not available in a timely manner;
- An individual is eligible once per academic year to receive emergency assistance;
- Applicants must complete the request and submit supporting documentation;
- Upon receipt of emergency funds, the applicant is required to schedule and to attend a MINIMUM of one (1) financial coaching session; and
- Fund disbursement will not exceed $500.
Students in need who meet the eligibility requirements may submit an email request and supporting documentation to
COE.SOS@unlv.edu. Requests must include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Detail of the emergency or need
- Approximate amount needed
- What additional resources or assistance has been sought and obtained
Supporting documentation may include, but is not limited to:
- Medical bills
- Income verification
- Estimates for repairs
- Documentary evidence (photographs or videos)
- Letters of support (usually witnesses of your need)
Requests will be reviewed by the S.O.S. Disbursement Committee to determine approval and funding amount. Applicants may be asked to meet with members of the committee to discuss their application. Upon approval, funds disburse within 7-10 business days and post to students’ UNLV account.
Strengthen Your Financial Literacy
Charles Schwab has generously provided UNLV staff/faculty to receive training as Financial Coaches at the Opportunity Alliance Nevada (OANV) Financial Coaching Institute. Accredited by the Center for Credentialing Education, the UNLV Financial Coaches are here to provide interested students with information on financial topics, including but not limited to:
- Financial Health Model
- Goal Setting
- Income Generation
- Spending Plans
- Debt Alleviation
Financial coaching sessions are FREE and open to ALL current UNLV undergraduate and graduate students.
Email COE.SOS@unlv.edu to schedule a session today!
Funding and oversight generously provided by: