Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
The Department of Teaching & Learning is dedicated to preparing students to excel as elementary teachers. Students who complete this program will earn a bachelor’s degree and be licensed as a K-8 teacher by the State of Nevada. Students who already have a degree and want to become an elementary teacher need to take course work through the teacher licensure program.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
Upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Create an environment in the classroom that supports children’s growth and learning;
- Develop instructional plans based on current child development and learning theories;
- Generate instructional opportunities that meet the needs of diverse students based on the cultural, developmental, and language needs of the student;
- Demonstrate proficiency in the content areas they will teach including English language arts, science, mathematics, and social studies;
- Use technology appropriate to the teaching and learning situations;
- Devise a classroom management plan and maintain a positive learning environment;
- Foster active inquiry, collaboration, critical thinking skills and supportive interaction in the elementary classroom;
- Develop a variety of formative and summative assessment instruments;
Possible career options after receiving this degree:
- Teacher in an elementary school in public or private institutions
- Teacher in a child care facility for young children
If there are no Plans of Study listed under this program, they may be listed under one of its sub-plans.
Plans of Study
- 2019-20, 4 Year Plan of Study
- 2018-19, 4 Year Plan of Study
- 2017-18, 4 Year Plan of Study
- 2017-18, 5 Year Plan of Study
- 2015-16, 4 Year Plan of Study
- 2012-14, 4 Year Plan of Study
- 2010-12, 4 Year Plan of Study