Bachelor of Music in Music Education
The Bachelor of Music degree in Music Education, a five-year program, with areas of interest in instrumental and vocal, prepares the student for a career in public school music teaching while earning Nevada teacher certification.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Perform in one primary performance medium, at a level appropriate for the area of specialization, with sufficient technical and musical skills requisite for artistic self-expression.
- Demonstrate broad working knowledge of the solo repertoire for their primary performance medium, at a level appropriate for the area of specialization, and display essential skills to interpret a range of styles within that repertoire.
- Perform in solo and ensemble (large and small) settings at a level appropriate for the area of specialization, with sufficient technical and musical skills requisite for artistic self-expression.
- Read solo and ensemble (large and small) literature at sight with fluency demonstrating both general musicianship and, in the primary performance medium, a skill level relevant to professional standards appropriate for the area of concentration.
- Demonstrate in written, verbal, aural, and visual methods knowledge of styles, composers, genres, forms, and processes of Western European art music through present time, including contributions to this tradition made by composers of both genders and multicultural societies.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of harmony, musical form, and compositional process, and the ability to use this knowledge in written, verbal, aural, and visual analyses.
- Demonstrate fluency in written fundamentals and aural comprehension of music theory (including aural dictation).
- Utilize the piano for personal music study and instruction.
- Synthesize performance, historical, stylistic, analytical, and technological information to solve artistic problems and form musical interpretations, and convincingly communicate these solutions and interpretations in written, verbal, aural, and visual methods.
- Develop and plan for instruction in P-12 settings (Music Education Only).
- Facilitate the technical development and artistic growth of students’ musical skills through appropriate pedagogical techniques and methodologies (Music Education Only).
The Bachelor of Music in Performance (Instrumental or Vocal concentration) prepares the student to attain the knowledge, competencies, and skills to enter many professional careers in music.
- Arts administrator
- Music technologist
Performers find employment as:
- Solo and chamber musicians
- Commercial or studio musicians
- Ensemble players
- Military ensemble performers
Composers work as:
- Film Composers
Music educators teach in:
- Private studios
- Public schools
- Colleges and universities
- Community music schools
- Early childhood music programs
There are many other positions in arts administration; artist management, media music, music retailing, instrument repair, manufacturing, and design, and the recording industry.
Plans of StudyN/A
Concentration in Instrumental
- 2017-18, Piano
- 2017-18, Guitar
- 2016-17, Piano
- 2016-17, Guitar
- 2015-16, Piano
- 2015-16, Guitar
- 2014-15, Piano
- 2014-15, Guitar
- 2012-14, Piano
- 2012-14, Guitar
Plans of Study
Concentration in Vocal
- 2016-17, Piano/Vocal
- 2016-17, Guitar/Vocal
- 2015-16, Piano/Vocal
- 2015-16, Guitar/Vocal
- 2014-15, Piano/Vocal
- 2014-15, Guitar/Vocal