Bachelor of Arts in Theatre; Concentration in Theatre Studies
The theatre studies concentration offers generalized study in all aspects of theater for students seeking a professional career in teaching, performance, design/ technology, and/or continued practical, artistic, or scholarly study beyond the bachelor's level. In addition to the general core and theatre core, theatre studies students choose from a broad range of courses that blend the best of both design/technology and performance. The concentration requires fewer credits specific to the major and is a good choice for students enrolled in the Honors College or students pursuing a double major or a minor in another department. Theatre studies is often the best choice for transfer students as it allows easier integration of classes taken elsewhere.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Communication Techniques- appropriate for the concentration that may include some or all of these techniques: acting, voice, movement, dance, computer and hand drafting, drawing and painting, collage construction, and speech, model building
- Production Skills- appropriate for the concentration that may include some or all of these skills: rehearsal etiquette, learning lines, practicing scenes, construction skills used in the lighting, scenery, and costume production studios, as well as following direction, performance responsibilities and time management
- Academic Skills- writing, research, discussion
- Professional preparation- self marketing as is timely and appropriate in their program- preparing audition material, attending auditions, creating a resume, learning networking techniques, portfolio preparation- from digital to hard copy, applying to graduate schools
- The ability to study and analyze plays; have an understanding of genre, style, and direction through the study of plays and theatre history
- An understanding of the contextual importance of theatre in the humanities, in the fine arts and part of the human experience
If there are no Plans of Study listed under this program, they may be listed under one of its sub-plans.