Bachelor of Arts in Music; Concentration in Recital
The Bachelor of Arts degree with a recital concentration is designed to emphasize and develop students' performing artistry while providing a thorough and diverse academic and intellectual experience. The degree is an attractive option for students with advanced performance skills as well as broad intellectual interests and abilities.
- Perform in one primary performance medium, at a level appropriate for the area of specialization, with sufficient technical and musical skills requisite for artistic self-expression.
- Demonstrate broad working knowledge of the solo repertoire for their primary performance medium, at a level appropriate for the area of specialization, and display essential skills to interpret a range of styles within that repertoire.
- Perform in solo and ensemble (large and small) settings at a level appropriate for the area of specialization, with sufficient technical and musical skills requisite for artistic self-expression.
- Read solo and ensemble (large and small) literature at sight with fluency demonstrating both general musicianship and, in the primary performance medium, a skill level relevant to professional standards appropriate for the area of concentration.
- Demonstrate in written, verbal, aural, and visual methods knowledge of styles, composers, genres, forms and processes of Western European art music through present time, including contributions to this tradition made by composers of both genders and multicultural societies.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of harmony, musical form, and compositional process, and the ability to use this knowledge in written, verbal, aural, and visual analyses.
- Demonstrate fluency in written fundamentals and aural comprehension of music theory (including aural dictation).
- Utilize the piano for personal music study and instruction.
- Synthesize performance, historical, stylistic, analytical, and technological information to solve artistic problems and form musical interpretations, and convincingly communicate these solutions and interpretations in written, verbal, aural, and visual methods.
- Develop and plan for instruction in P-12 settings (Music Education Only).
- Facilitate the technical development and artistic growth of students’ musical skills through appropriate pedagogical techniques and methodologies (Music Education Only).