Info for Travel

In accordance with initial state directives, the University halted all business travel with the onset of COVID-19.

Business Travel

All non-essential domestic and international travel remains prohibited. University-supported international and non-essential domestic travel continues to be prohibited. An exception to domestic travel may be requested for essential business travel only. A request for an exception may be submitted via the domestic travel registryMore information about business travel is available from the Provost’s Office.

Domestic Travel

University-based domestic travel will be allowed under future phases of planning for resuming on-campus operations, and such travel will be based on the established guidelines and approval processes.

As travel increases your chances of getting and spreading COVID-19, you are expected to self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 upon return. Consider getting tested with a viral test 3–5 days after your trip and reduce non-essential activities for a full 7 days after travel, even if your test is negative. If you don’t get tested, consider reducing non-essential activities for 10 days. Review the CDC’s domestic travel guidance, and COVID-19 Travel Planner, which provides travel restrictions, guidance, and resources in your destination.

Each day before coming to UNLV campuses, all faculty and staff must take their temperature and complete the self-assessment via the RebelSafe app or the CDC Coronavirus Self-Checker.

International Travel

International travel for university business is currently prohibited.

Personal Travel

With the resumption of activity in Nevada and across the U.S., there are currently no CDC recommendations to self-quarantine after returning from domestic travel. Therefore, UNLV will not place any type of quarantine restriction on UNLV employees returning from personal travel.

If you choose to travel for personal reasons, you must follow CDC guidelines.

Here are examples of activities and situations that can increase your risk of exposure to COVID-19:

  • Being in an area that is experiencing high levels of COVID-19 spread. You can check the levels for places you traveled, including countriesU.S. states and territoriescounties, and cities.
  • Going to a large social gathering like a wedding, funeral, or party.
  • Attending a mass gathering like a sporting event, concert, or parade.
  • Being in crowds – for example, in restaurants, bars, airports, bus and train stations, or movie theaters.
  • Traveling on a cruise ship or river boat.

If you participate in higher risk activities, you should take extra precautions to protect others for 14 days after you arrive. During this time, take these steps to monitor your health and practice social distancing:

  • Take your temperature twice daily and monitor for fever. Also watch for cough or trouble breathing. Use this temperature log to record your temperature.
  • Stay home and avoid contact with others. Do not go to work or school.
  • Do not take public transportation, taxis, or ride-shares.
  • Keep your distance from others (about 6 feet or 2 meters).

If you develop a fever or other symptoms, consult your family medical provider or a medical professional at the Faculty and Staff Treatment (FAST) Center or the Student Health Center.

All employees are required each day to take their temperature and complete the self-assessment via the RebelSafe app or the CDC Coronavirus Self-Checker before coming to work. 

If you are planning to travel to an international destination, be aware you may face unpredictable circumstances, travel restrictions, challenges returning home or accessing health care while abroad. U.S. citizens are encouraged to register for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals that provides important information from the nearest embassy about safety conditions in your destination country. Registration allows you to be easily located by embassy personnel in the event of an emergency.

Faculty International Travel

For faculty international travel information, please visit the International Travel Policy page, or contact Cecilia Maldonado, associate vice provost for workforce development, 702-895-3410 or

Student International Travel

For student international travel information, please contact Gregory Stephany at,, or 702-895-3896.

International Students and Scholars

UNLV’s Office of International Students and Scholars is here to assist international students and scholars. For information related to international students and scholars, please contact Ross Bryant at or 702-774-6477.

Health insurance

International Students automatically have health insurance when they pay their tuition fees. Unless you requested a special waiver, you should have insurance coverage here in the United States.

Please contact Ellen Bolt at or 702-895-0542 regarding your health insurance coverage. You can also call 1-800-853-5899 or email to retrieve your health insurance information.

Traveling home

Students who would like to return to their home country may do so, however, the United States has issued travel restrictions to many countries.

Please contact or call 702-774-6477 for assistance.

Alternate Breaks

For information about travel related to Alternate Breaks, please visit Service Learning and Leadership, email or contact Sunny Gittens at or 702-895-5624.