Interim Policy on Campus Events and Gatherings
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, all non-essential in-person events and gatherings at UNLV shall be cancelled until further notice in order to slow the transmission of the coronavirus and protect vulnerable populations from exposure. This social distancing measure will limit the spread of COVID-19 on our campus and in our community. Event organizers must prioritize alternatives, such as teleconferencing, rather than hold in-person gatherings.
Based on the state's latest guidance, UNLV is again accepting requests for exceptions to hold in-person events.
Event organizers must consider the following when applying for an exception:
- Requests for an exception should be received at least two weeks in advance for events only involving UNLV students, faculty and/or staff and one month in advance for events attended by visitors or guests.
- Events must be held in a venue with enough space to keep participants at least six feet apart throughout the event and there must be easy access to handwashing facilities and alcohol-based hand sanitizers at the venue. While UNLV will place hand sanitizer dispensers in public spaces throughout the campus, event organizers are responsible for providing sanitizer at the event.
- High-risk activities such as singing, shouting, beverage and food service, close contact for an extended period, and reduced social distancing must be avoided.
- Pre-registration for visitors and guests, as well as day-of event sign-in for all participants attending the event are required to facilitate COVID-19 contact tracing should that be necessary.
- Pre-event communication from event organizers to attendees of the event must include:
- Acknowledgement that the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) is a current public health concern
- A link to the UNLV Coronavirus Updates webpage
- Advice to stay home if ill (consider refunding costs if someone needs to cancel)
- Advice that high-risk individuals should not attend the event
- Usual prevention precautions, including UNLV's coronavirus protective measures
- Notification that the coronavirus pandemic is an evolving situation, precautions may change on short notice, and the event may be canceled at any point
- All attendees must acknowledge and agree upon arrival at the event that they will follow UNLV’s On-Campus Health Requirements during the event.
- Organizers should remind attendees during the event of simple measures to lower risk and prevent spread of the coronavirus and other viruses (not shaking hands, practicing social distancing, and wearing face coverings).
- A point person should be assigned by the event organizers for attendees and anyone working the event to utilize as a resource should they develop symptoms of COVID-19 during or after the event.
- Organizers must consult the CDC Considerations for Events and Gatherings throughout the planning process.
Requests for exceptions should be completed via the online form, which may be sent to Gregg.Maye@unlv.edu, Assistant Director, Emergency Management and COVID-19 Ombudsman.