Petty Cash Replenishment


This procedure helps to replenish your existing petty cash fund. It does not, however, describe the guidelines for which you may use this fund. If you have any questions on the petty cash guidelines, or how to set up a petty cash fund, please contact the Jane Kober in the Controller's Office at 702-895-1631.


To Replenish Your Fund

The fund custodian must prepare a payment voucher.

  • This must reference all unpaid fund expenditures to date.
  • The amount, when added to the cash remaining in the fund, should equal the authorized amount of the petty cash fund.
  • The payment voucher will contain:
    • "Misc-Petty" as the vendor code
    • "(Department) Petty Cash Fund" as the vendor name
    • c/o (the custodian’s full name) on the first address line
    • UNLV - mail sort code on the second address line
  • It is recommended that the custodian not be given signature authority for the account used to replenish expenditures or shortages.
  • Use the appropriate object code and sub-object for the type of expense.
  • If the expense was hosting-related, the custodian must charge the expense to an authorized host account.

Keep legible copies of all receipts paid by the petty cash fund for which the fund has not been replenished.

Attach the original invoices/receipts to the payment voucher submitted to the Accounts Payable Office.

  • Acceptable receipts are those described in the UNLV Receipt Policy.
  • Invoices/receipts need to be entered individually on the payment voucher and not consolidated on a single accounting line.
  • Only six (6) receipts/invoices may be entered on a single Payment Voucher.

Submit the Payment Voucher to Accounts Payable (Mail Stop: 1053).

The replenishment check for the fund will be sent to the fund custodian, via campus mail, unless otherwise indicated on the payment voucher.

Some Things to Remember

  • The petty cash custodian should not have signature authority on the account used to replenish the fund.
  • The petty cash fund should be replenished in-full each time a PV is submitted.
  • Please contact Jane Kober in the Controller's Office for petty cash guidelines at 702-895-1631.
  • The Receipt Policy must be followed with regard to acceptable receipts.
  • For any questions on this procedure, please contact the Vendor Team at 702-895-1157.

Authorization Required

Custodian cannot have signature authority on the account.

Account Restrictions

When using state funds, you cannot cross state funds.




The funds cannot be used to circumvent Purchasing policies.