Advanced Graduate Certificate in Nursing Education (Post Master's)
Students who have a master's in nursing and meet the admission qualifications may take courses leading to a nurse educator post master's certificate.
The online program uses a variety of teaching strategies designed to actively engage students. Two-day orientation sessions are held on campus before the beginning of each fall semester to enhance the connections among students and with the nursing faculty. There are also mandatory on-campus sessions per track.
The nurse educator track prepares graduates to:
- Accept a faculty position within a program of nursing, or a nurse educator position in a clinical setting.
- Increase mastery related to teaching, learning, evaluation strategies, curriculum design, and the use of educational technologies.
- Enhance clinical expertise in a selected specialty area, via directed study and mentorship with experienced faculty.
- Supervise basic nursing students in clinical practice areas and/or work with nurse educators in clinical settings to prepare, deliver, and evaluate educational programs for nurses.
Students have part-time or full-time enrollment options. Nurse Educator students are required to come to campus 3 times: (1) Orientation, (2) NURS 703 skills lab, (3) NURS 703 final skills pass off.
The MSN curriculum meets the Essentials of Master's Education in Nursing as identified by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing.
If you have any questions about the program, please contact the School of Nursing.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Use education research to continually improve teaching strategies and skills.
- Develop a teaching-learning style that meets the educational outcomes of students.
- Assess and evaluate at the course and program level.
- Function as a leader and change agent in nursing education settings.
- Participate in scholarship to further knowledge and abilities in nursing education.
The MSN Post Master's certificate program builds on the education of a clinical practice generalist and prepares an advanced practice nurse. The educational experience prepares students to validate and expand research findings through application of theory and scientific inquiry.
Graduates are expected to function collaboratively and independently in diverse educational locations, such as schools of nursing, hospitals, and health care agencies, requiring an educational specialist.
UNLV is unable to provide fully online education to students from certain states. Visit the State Compliance page for more information.