Advanced Graduate Certificate in Family Nurse Practitioner (Post Master's)
Students who have a master's in nursing and meet the admission qualifications may take courses leading to an education pathway or family nurse practitioner pathway post master's certificate. Please consult the State Authorization Reciprocity information for online degree programs.
The online program uses a variety of teaching strategies designed to actively engage students. Two to three day-long orientation sessions are held on campus before the beginning of each fall semester to enhance the connections among students and with the nursing faculty.
The family nurse practitioner track prepares graduates to:
- Work as a nurse practitioner in a variety of settings.
- Perform health histories and physical examinations.
- Order and interpret diagnostic tests.
- Diagnose and manage acute and chronic diseases.
- Prescribe medication and treatments.
- Provide patient and family counseling, and education regarding lifestyle behaviors.
Students have part-time or full-time enrollment options. Some clinical courses require on-campus sessions during the semester, which can vary from one to four days. On-campus sessions are required attendance and are at the discretion of the individual instructor.
If you have any questions about the program, please contact the School of Nursing.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
Program Outcomes: Advanced Graduate Certificate in Family Nurse Practitioner (Post Master's)
- Competently assess, diagnose, prescribe, evaluate and create a holistic plan of treatment.
- Articulate the professional role, which includes the ethical code of conduct and scope of advanced practice.
- Develop and monitor comprehensive, holistic plans of care that address the health promotion and disease prevention needs of diverse client populations.
- Assess and monitor teaching/learning needs in a diverse client population. Practice ethically in the conduct of research, management and clinical professional practice.
The Family Nurse Practitioner Post-Graduate certificate program builds on the education of a clinical practice generalist and prepares an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse. The educational experience prepares students to validate and expand research findings through application of theory and scientific inquiry.
Graduates are expected to function collaboratively and independently in an advanced practice role with various populations and primary care settings.
Available Online UNLV is unable to provide fully online education to students from certain states. Visit the State Compliance page for more information including the program disclaimer.