Loan and Borrowing Policy
The Marjorie Barrick Museum of Art may lend materials for exhibition or study at the recommendation of a staff member and with the approval of the program director. Loans will be made to museums, institutions, or public facilities for the purpose of exhibition and research. The loan period, however, must not interfere with research or exhibitions within the museum.
All loans are subject to the following conditions:
- Borrowers must provide proof of insurance for the full amount specified by the museum.
- Borrowers must arrange and pay for shipping in both directions. Materials must be returned in similar or superior packaging to that in which they are received.
- Materials placed on exhibition must be placed in a secure area to ensure preservation of individual items as specified by the museum.
- No object may be altered in any way without the written consent of the program director. No glue, tape, pins, nails, or other attachment may be used for mounting.
- The museum may require that a staff member accompany the loan and that unpacking, mounting, dismounting, and repacking be done under supervision of a staff member at the borrower's expense.
- Proper credit must be given to the museum in any exhibition or publication of loaned materials.
- All loans will be made in accordance with any provisions made on the outgoing loan form.
The UNLV Marjorie Barrick Museum of Art reserves the right to refuse any loan that is not deemed appropriate or does not reflect accepted professional standards of care.
Incoming loans may be accepted for exhibition or research with the approval of the program director. All incoming loans will be recorded on a Loan-To form, and copies will be retained of any forms by the lender.
- Cost of transportation and packing will be assumed by the museum unless the loan is at the lender's request or waived by mutual agreement. The method of shipment must be agreed upon by both parties. Insurance costs are borne by the state under an all-risk wall-to-wall policy, unless the lender elects to maintain his insurance coverage or insurance is waived by the lender. The lender is responsible for notifying the museum of updated insurance values. Appraisal sheets may be necessary.
- The museum will acknowledge the lender according to the lender's wishes.
- At the end of the loan period, the borrowed items will be returned only to the lender of record or the duly authorized agent.
- If the lender fails to reclaim the loan after it expires and no special arrangements have been made for the return of the loan, the item(s) will be placed in storage and after proper notice will become the property of the museum.
Any staff member may accept objects for identification, photography, and study by generating a temporary receipt, signed by the staff member and owner. It will be the responsibility of the accepting staff member to arrange for the return of the artifact or object or to obtain the owner's signature on a loan or donation form before the end of the agreed period.
- The museum will provide the same professional care for objects in temporary custody that it does for its own collections but will assume no additional responsibilities or liabilities.