REBS Life Skills
The Reaching Excellence Beyond Sports R.E.B.S. Life Skills program focuses on developing the student-athlete as a person to promote academic, athletic, and personal success. The R.E.B.S. Life Skills program enriches the D-I collegiate athletic experience through empowering student-athletes to cultivate their full potential. Weekly proactive seminar training encompasses the following developmental areas:
- Building effective time management, organization, and productivity habits.
- Successful transitions and acclimation to the college environment.
- Defining and implementing a personal UNLV Athletics legacy.
- Sport nutrition education to promote optimal performance and vitality.
Mental Skills Development
- Identifying and applying individual leadership strengths and abilities.
- Nurturing of the mind and spirit through increasing student-athlete long-term perspective.
- Teaching positive mental skills and thought patterns to promote student-athlete well being.
- Understanding behaviors and actions that promote a positive sense of self.
- Business and social etiquette training.
- Enhancing communication and public speaking skill development.
- Financial literacy exposure and money management practical application.
- Exploring and developing a personal career identity.
- Interview training, resume building, and graduate school preparation.
- Networking and exposure to UNLV Athletics alumni and Las Vegas employers.
- Identifying transferrable athletic skills applicable to life beyond college athletics.
*Student-athlete pre and post-evaluation feedback assists in measuring skill attainment and program efficacy.
REBS Life Skills Assessment
REBS Life Skills strives to provide elite resources for student-athletes and believes strongly in assessing its offerings.
In 1991, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Foundation initiated efforts to create a total development program for student-athletes. Through the collaborative efforts of the NCAA Foundation and the Division 1A Athletic Directors' Association, the CHAMPS/Life Skills Program (Challenging Athletes' Minds for Personal Success) was created. In 1994, after several years of development by the NCAA Foundation, the CHAMPS/Life Skills Program was launched to the NCAA membership. The mission of the CHAMPS (Challenging Athletes Minds for Personal Success) program is to support student-athletes in their academic, athletic, career, personal and community endeavors. This seminar, centered on the principals of the CHAMPS/Life Skills Program, represents the university’s commitment to providing instruction and support to meet the dynamic needs of student-athletes within in higher education.