Academic Assessment Awards - Individual & Department/Unit
The Office of the Vice Provost for Academic Programs seeks nominations from Deans for the 2020 Academic Assessment Awards.
The purpose of the UNLV Academic Assessment Awards is to recognize and reward programs, departments, and/or individual faculty who engage in meaningful and sustainable assessment that is used to improve student learning.
1. Academic Assessment Individual Award
Award recipients can be individual faculty (representing undergraduate or graduate assessment activities), programs, or departments. Recipients will be recognized at the annual Academic Achievement Awards Ceremony and receive an honorarium of $1,250 for individual faculty or $2,500 for programs/departments. Each Dean may nominate one individual and one department or program.
Applications for individual faculty should include a letter explaining how the individual has contributed to high quality assessment, and copies of any relevant assessment reports.
2. Academic Assessment Department/Unit Award
Applications for programs/departments should include a letter explaining how the program or department conducts academic assessment in a manner that provides useful information about student learning, and copies of any relevant assessment reports.
UNLV Accreditation Award & Mission Fulfillment Grant
The Office of the Vice Provost for Academic Programs seeks applications for the 2020 UNLV Accreditation Awards and Mission Fulfillment Grants. The dual purpose of the Accreditation Awards and the Mission Fulfillment Grants is to:
- Encourage Campus-wide participation in the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) accreditation process. Broad participation in this process is the foundation of UNLV's NWCCU Mid-Cycle Self-study Report in Spring 2020, and Year 7 Mission Fulfillment Self-study in Spring 2024.
- To recognize, reward and encourage the development of innovative projects that focus on mission fulfillment at the course, program, or institutional level.
1. Accreditation Awards
These awards are up to $2,500, and are not renewable. The proposals are due March 1st.
Accreditation Awards are for fully developed projects that focus on mission fulfillment related to the Top Tier Strategic Plan. The project may assess program learning outcomes, or other institutional goals that support fulfillment of Top Tier goal metrics. The project should be fully implemented by Fall 2020. Proposals awarded will be incorporated into UNLV’s NWCCU Mid-Cycle Self-study Report in Spring 2020.
Project leaders should be prepared to discuss the project with NWCCU evaluators at the Mid-Cycle Evaluation visit in Fall 2020.
- A regular, organized event is held, in which students, faculty, alumni, employers, and community members gather together to discuss student learning outcomes and to set goals for the program.
- A larger-scale and/or longitudinal effort to score student work samples with an emphasis on the use of the information gathered from analyses.
2. Mission Fulfillment Grants
These grants are up to $1,500, and are renewable up to two times. The proposals are due March 1st.
Proposals for the Mission Fulfillment Grants should be projects or ideas that will assess course, program, or institutional core theme goals, and be specifically geared toward mission fulfillment of some aspect of the Top Tier Strategic Plan. These projects may be planned for the next one to three years, but must be fully implemented by Spring 2023 to be included in the NWCCU Mission Fulfillment & Sustainability Self-study due in Spring 2024.
Project leaders may be asked to discuss the project with NWCCU evaluators at the Mid-Cycle evaluation visit in Fall 2020, and should be fully prepared to meet with NWCCU evaluators during the Fall 2024 on-campus Mission Fulfillment & Sustainability Evaluation.
- Implementation of an intervention designed to address retention issues within a unit.
- Purchase of exams/other instruments to assess factors related to student success.
- Scoring of student work samples to address program outcomes/UULOs.
Further details on the UNLV Accreditation Award & Mission Fulfillment Grant and how to apply can be found on the application portal.
Not sure which award or grant to aim for? Take a mini quiz to help you decide.