Parking, Traffic, and Pedestrian Restrictions
From Friday Oct. 14 through Wednesday Oct. 19, the following lots will be closed:
- All Thomas & Mack surface parking (White, Naples, Black, and Red lots)
- Tropicana Parking Garage
- Lot N (north of Thomas & Mack and behind Lied Library)
All other campus parking lots will be open, additional ADA parking will be available, and the new University Gateway parking garage is expected to be open for use prior to Oct. 14.
Residence Halls will remain open during Debate Week (Oct. 17-19), but will be locked at all times beginning Oct. 17 at 7 p.m. For more information, download the full message about impacts to the Residence Halls.
Due to parking impacts on the UNLV campus the week of the debate, a shuttle service will be provided on Monday, Oct. 17 and Tuesday, Oct. 18; to help students, faculty, and staff travel to/from campus from alternative parking lots. Please consider carpooling and allow adequate time to arrive to your campus destination.
All UNLV parking lots will be open for use on Thursday, Oct. 20.
Alternate Parking Options
- The UNLV Intramural Field, located off of Harmon Road and Swenson Street, will be open for parking Monday, Oct. 17 through Thursday, Oct. 20. Approx. 700 spaces
- *The Orange Parking Lot located directly across from the Thomas & Mack Center’s main entrance between Swenson Street and Paradise Road will be open Monday, Oct. 17 through Wednesday, Oct. 19. Approx. 1,200 spaces
- *McCarran International Airport’s Economy Parking Lot, located south of Tropicana Avenue on the west side of Paradise Road, will be available free with UNLV parking stickers on Monday, Oct. 17 and Tuesday, Oct. 18. Approx. 3,250 spaces
- University Gateway, off Maryland Parkway, near University Road., is open and can accommodate UNLV faculty, staff and students. Approx. 600 spaces
* Shuttle services will be provided to/from these lots on Monday, Oct. 17 and Tuesday, Oct. 18
- A shuttle service will operate Monday, Oct. 17 and Tuesday, Oct. 18 from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. The shuttle will run continuously with service every 10-15 minutes from the Orange parking lot across Swenson Street and the McCarran Economy Lot. The shuttle will drop riders on campus at the Wilbur Street entrance to the Thomas & Mack Center on Tropicana Avenue. Shuttles will be ADA accessible.
- Plan for heavy traffic around the UNLV campus, particularly near the Thomas & Mack Center, beginning Friday, Oct. 14
- Prepare for major traffic impacts near the Thomas & Mack Center on Tropicana Avenue and Swenson Street on Wednesday, Oct. 19.
- Detailed updates on traffic conditions and impacts will be provided closer to the debate.
- Pedestrian access to UNLV will be limited along Swenson Street and Tropicana Avenue in the vicinity of the Thomas & Mack Center beginning Friday, Oct. 14 through Wednesday, Oct. 19.
- Pedestrian access to the main campus in this area will be available only at Wilbur St. and Tropicana Ave., Harmon Ave. and Swenson St., and Naples Dr. and Swenson St. (for pedestrian access to Campus Services Building).
Class and Building Impacts
Class schedules during the week of the debate will be adjusted accordingly:
- Tuesday, Oct. 18 – No evening classes will be held in the Carol Harter Building Complex (CBC). Evening classes in other campus buildings should not be affected and can be held as planned. Additionally, there is no impact to online classes or classes held on our satellite campuses.
- Wednesday, Oct. 19 – No classes can be held at all in CBC, and faculty are advised to not hold classes on other parts of the main campus, but may provide alternate learning activities, including attending debate-related events.;There is no impact to satellite campuses as well as online classes.
The following buildings will be impacted beginning 4 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 18 and all day Wednesday, Oct. 19. Most services will still be provided via alternate means during this time. Ask Me Booths with campus volunteers will be stationed near all closed facilities to redirect students and visitors to services.
Thomas & Mack Center, Cox Pavilion, Mendenhall Center
- Access to these facilities will be restricted to those with debate credentials from Oct. 14 through Oct. 19. Athletics staff will operate from alternate campus locations during this period.
Carol C. Harter Classroom Building Complex (CBC)
- Operations and staff in buildings A, B, and C will be relocated after 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 18 and all day Wednesday, Oct. 19.
- No evening classes will be held Oct. 18, and no classes will be held Oct. 19.
Student Services Complex (SSC)
The SSC will close for walk-in services beginning 5 p.m. Oct. 18 and will re-open Oct. 20. The Offices of Admissions, Career Services, Cashiering, Enrollment & Student Services, Financial Aid, International Students & Scholars, Registrar, Veterans Services, and the Women’s Center will be available by phone and email during normal business hours Oct. 19. Representatives from Admissions, Financial Aid, and Registrar will be available at Ask Me! Booths across campus for in-person questions on Oct. 19.
- Disability Resource Center will be open for testing on Oct. 19 in North Tonopah Hall. Check in at the reception desk.
Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRWC)
The SRWC will close for walk-in services and general activities beginning 4 p.m. Oct. 18 and will re-open Oct. 20.
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) will be available on the first floor of the Student Union after 4 p.m. Oct. 18 and during normal business hours Oct. 19.
- Student Health Center and FAST Clinic will be rescheduling patent activities that were planned for Tuesday, Oct. 18 and Wednesday, Oct. 19.
Additional Building Impacts
- Campus Services Building access will be limited from Oct. 14-19. Staff and visitors may enter from the building from the north side near Naples Dr. (pedestrian only)
- The Student Union will be open 24-hours Oct. 17 – 19. Normal operating hours will resume Oct. 20.
- Lied Library will be open Oct. 18 from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. On Oct. 19, all UNLV University Libraries buildings will open at their normal times and close at 5 p.m. Special Collections will be closed on Oct. 19.
- The UNLV Bookstore will close one hour earlier, at 5 p.m. on Tuesday Oct. 18 and at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, October 19.
- All UNLV campus facilities will return to normal operations on Thursday, Oct. 20.
- During the week of the Presidential Debate UNLV's Department of Police Services will not cancel or suspend its hours of operation. Police patrols and dispatch communication services for the Maryland Parkway, Paradise, and Shadow Lane Campuses will be maintained on a 24 hour, 7 day a week schedule as would normally be expected. UNLV Police Headquarters and front desk operations will be open to the public during their traditional hours of operation (Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- On the day of the Presidential Debate the following services to the public will be suspended: fingerprinting, copying of police reports, lost and found property recovery, student security evening escorts, jump starting for stalled vehicles, and notary services.
- All services will resume operation on Thursday, Oct. 20.
Ask Me! Booths
Booths will be situated throughout campus during debate week to help guide the university community, the public, and visiting media, and to answer questions on services offered, restrictions, and closures. Look for locations around campus and feel free to refer visitors to the booths for more information as well as to the Debate website.
Faculty & Staff
Faculty and staff should check with their supervisors to determine if alternate work scheduling, work locations, or teaching options are appropriate. All requests for leave must be approved by your supervisor. The university will remain open throughout Debate week, with some reduced hours or staffing levels akin to Winter Break.