Rights and Responsibilities
Patient's Bill of Rights
Student Wellness strives to provide all patients and clients with high quality health care in a manner that clearly recognizes individual needs and rights. Therefore, patients and clients have a right to:
- Receive treatment without discrimination as to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation.
- Be treated with respect, consideration and dignity.
- Receive care in a clean and safe environment and be provided with appropriate privacy.
- Request treatment by a Student Wellness provider of your choosing and request to change providers at any time, if other qualified providers are available.
- Know the name, position, credentials, and function of any Student Wellness staff involved in your care.
- Expect and be afforded confidentiality of all information and records regarding your care.
- Receive information concerning your diagnosis, evaluation, treatment, and prognosis, to the degree known. If it is medically inadvisable to give such information to you, the information will be provided to a person designated by you or to a legally authorized person.
- Participate in all decisions about your treatment, except when such participation is contraindicated for medical reasons.
- Refuse treatment, examination or observation and be told what effect this may have on your health.
- Obtain a copy of your medical record, within a reasonable period of time.
- Refuse to take part in research. In deciding whether or not to participate, you have the right to a full explanation.
- Receive all the information you need to give informed consent for any proposed procedure or treatment. This information shall include the possible risks and benefits of the procedure or treatment.
- Provide feedback or voice a grievance, without fear of reprisal, about the care and services you received (or have failed to receive) and to have Student Wellness respond to you. Grievances or complaints may be voiced in person, by telephone, in writing, or by completing a form available on the Student Wellness website or a satisfaction survey available in Student Wellness. If you request it, a written response will be provided. If you are not satisfied with the Student Wellness response, you may request assistance from the Directors or their designee of the Department from which you are seeking care or services. Student Wellness must provide you with the telephone numbers of these offices if you request them.
- Have reasonable efforts made by Student Wellness staff, when the need arises, to communicate with you in the language you primarily use.
- Understand and use these rights. If for any reason you need help with this, Student Wellness will provide assistance.
In order to ensure the effectiveness of Student Wellness services, you and your health care provider must work together to develop and maintain your optimum health. You have the responsibility to:
- Arrive on time for scheduled appointments. If you will not be able to keep a scheduled appointment, please call and cancel, in advance, so that another patient/client may be scheduled in your place.
- Provide your health care provider with complete and accurate information so that she or he will be able to determine the best treatment for you: fill out all forms completely, tell your provider about past and current diagnoses and treatments, such as past illnesses, hospitalizations, medications, including over-the-counter products and dietary supplements, and any allergies or sensitivities; and be as clear as you can about current symptoms, including pain and/or psychological stress.
- Provide correct and complete contact information.
- Follow the treatment plan prescribed by your care provider and participate in your care.
- Be open and honest with your health care provider if you do not understand or cannot comply with instructions you are given.
- Call your health care provider promptly if your condition worsens or does not follow the expected course.
- Meet with your health care provider at least one week before you run out of your current supply of prescription medication.
- Use prescription and over-the-counter medications as directed. You should never share medication prescribed for you with others.
- Treat patients/clients and Student Wellness staff with courtesy and respect. Please respect others’ right to privacy.
- If required by your health care provider, provide a responsible adult to transport you home from Student Wellness and remain with you for 24 hours.
- Inquire about charges and fees prior to approving tests or services.
- Accept personal financial responsibility for any charges. If you are covered under a health insurance policy, you are responsible for any charges not covered by your health insurance plan.
- Pay for services when rendered. If you require assistance, contact the Associate Director of Insurance and Billing Operations.
- Know the coverage provided by your medical insurance policy before making appointments with outside providers or scheduling tests. If you have the UNLV Student Health Insurance Plan and are uncertain about coverage, contact the Health Insurance Program Officer. If you have other insurance, please contact your insurance carrier directly.