Rights and Responsibilities
Patient's Bill of Rights
Student Wellness strives to provide all patients with high quality health care in a manner that clearly recognizes individual needs and rights. Therefore, patients have a right to:
- Understand and use these rights. If for any reason you need help with this, Student Wellness will provide assistance.
- Receive treatment without discrimination as to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation.
- Receive considerate and respectful care in a clean and safe environment.
- Be informed of the name and position of the health care provider who will be in charge of your care.
- Request treatment by a Student Wellness provider of your choosing and request to change providers, within reason, at any time.
- Know the name, position, and function of any Student Wellness staff involved in your care and refuse treatment, examination, or observation by that person.
- Receive care in a non-smoking environment.
- Privacy and confidentiality of all information and records regarding your care.
- Participate in all decisions about your treatment.
- Refuse treatment, examination or observation and be told what effect this may have on your health.
- Obtain a copy of your medical record within a reasonable period of time.
- Refuse to take part in research. In deciding whether or not to participate, you have the right to a full explanation.
- Receive all the information you need to give informed consent for any proposed procedure or treatment. This information shall include the possible risks and benefits of the procedure or treatment.
- Receive urgent care if you need it.
- Complain without fear of reprisals about the care and services you are receiving and to have Student Wellness respond to you and, if you request it, provide you with a written response. If you are not satisfied with the Student Wellness response, you may request assistance from the Directors or their designee of the Department from which you are seeking care or services. Student Wellness must provide you with the telephone numbers of these offices if you request them.
In order to ensure the effectiveness of Student Wellness services the patient and health care provider must work together to develop and maintain optimum health. Therefore, patients shall have the responsibility to:
- Arrive on time for scheduled appointments. If you will not be able to make a scheduled appointment, please call and cancel it so that another student may be scheduled in your place.
- Give your health care provider all the information she or he will need to determine the best treatment for you: fill out any forms completely and accurately; tell your provider about past and current diagnoses and treatments, such as past illnesses, hospitalizations, and medications; and be as clear as you can about current symptoms, including pain and/or psychological stress.
- Provide correct and complete contact information.
- Be open and honest with your health care provider if you do not understand or cannot comply with instructions you are given.
- Call your health care provider promptly if your condition worsens or does not follow the expected course.
- Check with your provider well before you run out of your current supply of prescription medication.
- Use prescription and over-the-counter medications as directed. You should never share medication prescribed for you with others.
- Treat fellow users and Student Wellness staff with the same courtesy and respect that you expect from them. Please respect others’ right to privacy as you would ask that your own be respected.
- Know the coverage provided by your medical insurance policy, particularly if you are not covered under the UNLV Student Health Insurance Plan. If you have the UNLV plan and are uncertain what is covered, contact the Health Services Insurance Office before making appointments with outside providers or scheduling tests. If you have other insurance, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
- Make use of information available through the materials in our waiting rooms and on our website. You can make your experience at Student Wellness more satisfying by understanding the way appointments are scheduled, the resources available for after-hours care or emergencies, and insurance enrollment and required immunization deadlines. You may also find information that is helpful to understanding your psychological and health care needs.