Activities and Groups
Phi Alpha was originally organized in 1962 to provide a closer bond among students of social work and to promote humanitarian goals and ideals nationally. Our local chapter, the Delta Chapter, was founded at UNLV in May 1982 and welcomes students who have attained excellence in scholarship and achievement in social work. Initiation dues are $45 for the first year and $10 annually thereafter. Application forms are also available in the School office, Greenspun Hall, room 3151.
In addition to service projects, we also provide scholarships for students in the school. The Marion Pullum Scholarship, a $200 award named in memory of a social work student, is presented to either a junior or a senior social work undergraduate as well as to a graduate social work major each semester. In order to apply, you must be a member of Phi Alpha. Application forms are available in the student lounge of the Social Work offices in Greenspun Hall, Room 3123.
Past projects of our chapter include:
- Stand Down for the Homeless, a mini-conference for the homeless that provided help with medical, dental, self-care, legal assistance with outstanding warrants, and dinner.
- Coat collecting for men, women, and children, and gift certificates for boys and girls aged 12 through 17 during the holiday season that were distributed by Help of Southern Nevada.
University Association of Social Work Students (UASWS)
The University Association of Social Work Students is an organization directed toward social work majors. UASWS is an excellent forum for social work students to share ideas, experiences, and concerns, and to have a voice in the School of Social Work. The organization unites students with social workers and resources in the community through fundraisers, community service projects, and social activities. Email UASWS for more information.
Every year, members are involved in a project that benefits the community. Past projects included:
- Stand Down for the Homeless, an annual event that provides free services to the homeless and obtains statistical data for social service agencies.
- Shade Tree Women's shelter sponsorship.
- Providing a helping hand to the American Association of Retired Persons Senior Day at the Park.
- Community service
- Public relations
- Social events