Export Control Training
All UNLV personnel with responsibility for or engaged in export controlled activities must undergo applicable training on export control rules and procedures to be able to identify possible export control concerns and how to manage them.
Export controls laws regulate the transfer of controlled items, information, technology, services, and software to destinations outside the United States and the release of controlled technology and services to foreign nationals inside the United States. Violations of export control laws can result civil and criminal penalties such as the loss of research contracts, monetary fines, and/or prison sentences.
UNLV uses the web-based Collaborative Institutional Training Incentive (CITI) for training in U.S. Export Control and Economic Sanctions Training. In-person training is also available for individuals, departments, or other groups as needed or requested. To discuss and schedule in-person training, please contact Kristin Bloomquist at [email protected] or at 702-895-0905.
UNLV uses the web-based Collaborative Institutional Training Incentive (CITI) for training in U.S. Export Control Regulations. The CITI training course includes eleven modules.
The Office of Research Integrity recommends the successful completion of the CITI module "Introduction to Export Compliance" for everyone on a project subject to a Technology Control Plan (TCP). PIs responsible for compliance with TCPs are also required to successfully complete three additional modules, "Export Compliance for Researchers: Parts I & II" and "Export Compliance and United States Sanctions Programs." Other modules are optional, unless specified in a TCP.
The complete list of available online training modules includes:
- Introduction to Export Compliance
- Export Compliance for Researchers: Parts I and II
- Export Compliance for Research Administrators
- Export Compliance and Biosafety
- Export Compliance for Operational Departments
- Export Compliance for International Shipping
- Export Compliance and Purchasing
- Export Compliance and International and Foreign Waters
- Export Compliance and Collaborations
- Export Compliance and United States Sanctions Programs
To access the CITI training modules, please visit the CITI Program website and follow the instructions below for new or existing users.
- Register as a new user.
- Select the University of Nevada, Las Vegas in the drop down list. It is important to select the correct institution.
- Step #7 of the registrations asks that you select your needs for training. Check the "I need to take the optional course: Export Control Training" box.
- Once the registration is complete, click on the Finalize Registration button. You will be taken back to your home page where you will see your status is “Not Started”. You may start and stop the modules as many times as needed, log out and back in as time permits; the training will pick up where you left off.
- Login using your registered username and password.
- From your homepage, click on Add a Course or Update Learner Groups.
- Select the “I need to take the optional course: Export Control Training” box and click “Next”.
You will be taken back to your home page where you will see your status is “Not Started”. You may start and stop the modules as many times as needed, log out and back in as time permits; the training will pick up where you left off.