Barrick Scholar Awards: Call for Nominations
This year the call for nominations will be open from Nov. 13–Dec. 4, 2015.
The Barrick Scholar Awards are designed to recognize faculty members who have established a record of distinguished research or have demonstrated excellence in the area of creative activity. Applications are submitted online through the Barrick Awards Portal.
Only full-time tenured or tenure-track faculty who have completed at least three years of full-time employment at UNLV prior to the application deadline are eligible for Barrick Awards.
- The Barrick Scholar Award is for faculty members with fewer than 10 years of service in an academic environment after the terminal degree. The award consists of a $2,500 stipend to be presented at the annual campus recognition ceremony.
- The Barrick Distinguished Scholar Award is for faculty members with 10 or more years of service in an academic environment after the terminal degree. The award consists of a $5,000 stipend to be presented at the annual campus recognition ceremony.
Please note: Generally, no more than three Barrick Awards will be made in any year, and effective 1999, these awards will not be presented to the same person more than once. If applicants are applying for the Barrick Distinguished Scholar Award after having been selected for the Barrick Scholar Award, a period of at least five years shall have elapsed, and primary consideration will be given to achievements for the period of time following the receipt of the Barrick Scholar Award. In all cases, the committee has the final authority to determine the level of the award.
Those submitting nominations must be NSHE employees. (Self nominations are not accepted.) A not more than two-page formal letter of nomination from a peer, chair, or dean is required. The nominator should notify the nominee and submit the nomination letter directly to the awards coordinator, Dene.Charlet@unlv.edu. The nominee should compile supporting documentation and submit the application packet by the deadline through the Barrick Awards Portal.
Nominees must provide materials to support their nominations. These materials include:
- Letter of Application. A brief description (about two pages) highlighting the candidate's research program or creative accomplishments is required; it should convey the impact of the candidate's work on diverse disciplines.
- Curriculum Vitae. The CV must clearly delineate the level of peer review of contributions.
- Reprints of the Five Most Significant Publications. Or if appropriate, candidates may submit documentation describing his/her most significant exhibits, designs, or creative activity instead of publications.
- List of References. This list should contain the names of three distinguished persons whom the committee may consult regarding the candidates record of research or creative activity. Please include name, title, e-mail address and phone number for each.
The nominee should compile all application materials (except nomination letter) in pdf format and submit them by the deadline through the Barrick Awards Portal.
The deadline for all materials is 5 p.m., December 4, 2015. The nominee should compile all materials in pdf format for submission online. Materials that cannot be submitted online due to file size (e.g. entire books, videos) can be delivered to:
Mail Stop: 4022