FAQs for Staff
- What information about students may I release to faculty members and other University staff members?
Items defined as directory information may be released without a student's written permission, provided that the student has not chosen to restrict his or her directory information. All other personally identifiable information in a student's educational record is confidential and may be disclosed to appropriate University administrators, faculty members, staff members, appropriate administrators or staff members of the Board of Regents, or contractors acting on behalf of the university who require such access in order to perform their legitimate educational and business duties when such records are needed in furtherance of the educational or business purposes of the student or university.
- What information about students may I release to parents?
You may disclose directory information to a parent (as you may to any third party) if the student has not restricted his or her directory information. If the student has restricted all of his or her directory information, you should respond to any inquiries by saying "I have no information to provide about that individual." Confidential information may be released to parents with the express, written permission of the student.
- What is directory information?
FERPA has identified certain information, called directory information, that may be disclosed without the student's permission. NSHE has designated the following information as directory information:
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Dates of attendance
- Date of graduation
- Telephone number
- Undergraduate or graduate student status
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams
- Most recent educational agency or institution attended
- Email address (university-supplied)
- Enrollment status (full-time or part time)
- Degrees, honors, and awards received
- Major field of study
- Do I have to keep a record of the release of information from a student's educational record?
A record of each request for access and each disclosure must be kept, unless the request was made by or the disclosure was made to one of the following:
- The student
- A school official who has legitimate educational interest
- A party with written consent from the student
- A party seeking directory information only
These records must be kept with the educational records of the student as long as the educational records are maintained by the university. Adding an electronic note to MyUNLV stating the disclosure is suggested.
- May I release confidential information to officially registered student groups?
Student groups do NOT have legitimate educational interest and consequently may not be given confidential information about a student or students without each student's express, written permission.
- What do I do about subpoenas?
Please refer all officers of the law or of the courts to the UNLV registrar's office.
- Whom should I contact with questions or concerns?
Send general questions, comments or suggestions to the Registrar's Office.