Promotion & Tenure
Promotion and tenure are important milestones in a faculty member's career. Both are designed to build a faculty committed to excellence for the University while rewarding faculty for their teaching, creative, research/scholarly, and service contributions to the University and their respective field. Promotion and tenure is a rigorous process involving multiple layers of review and begins with the hiring process.
Promotion & Tenure Governing Documents
- Board of Regents Handbook, specifically:
- UNLV Bylaws, specifically:
- Chapter 1, Section 4: "Tenure"
- Chapter 3, Section 9: "Faculty Personnel Files"
- Chapter 3, Section 16: "Guidelines for Promotion or Appointment to Academic Rank"
- UNLV Policy on Early Tenure
2013-2014 Promotion & Tenure Cycle
The 2013-2014 promotion and tenure cycle has already begun. The faculty members applying for promotion and tenure will document their teaching, creative, research/scholarly and service contributions and have this record reviewed at several levels within the University and by external reviewers in their field. During the 2013-2014 cycle, several steps have been taken to create a more efficient, and traceable process. Because promotion and tenure are such important milestones in a faculty member's career, a variety of support services have been created to assist users through these changes. These services include:
- a team to answer questions about the process, as well as the forms
- updated instructions, including flowcharts and checklists
- fillable Adobe PDF forms
On this webpage, you will find the latest versions of each of the individual files, or an option to download a consolidated file of all instructions. Either way, the goal is to provide you all of the information you will need as an applicant, department chair, committee chair, dean, etc. If you cannot find the answers you are looking for in the documents provided, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions.
2013-2014 Promotion & Tenure Documents
P&T 2013 Consolidated Instructions
Note: this file contains all of the information from the 6 documents below and more. However, the following documents are still valid if you have already downloaded any of them.
- P&T Checklist
- P&T 2013 Highlights
- P&T Applicant Instructions
- P&T Governing Documents
- P&T Adobe Reader Instructions
- P&T Process Flowchart
Forms & Templates
- P&T Waiver Form
- P&T Application
- P&T Chair's Cover Sheet
- P&T External Referee Request Letter Template (Promotion ONLY)
- P&T External Referee Request Letter Template
- P&T Faculty Evaluation Feedback Template
- P&T Department Evaluation Form
- P&T College Evaluation Form