Promotion & Tenure
Promotion and tenure are important milestones in a faculty member's career. Both are designed to build a faculty committed to excellence for the University while rewarding faculty for their teaching, creative, research/scholarly, and service contributions to the University and their respective field. Promotion and tenure is a rigorous process involving multiple layers of review and begins with the hiring process.
2016-2017 Promotion & Tenure Cycle
Faculty members applying for promotion and tenure will document their teaching, creative, research/scholarly and service contributions and have this record reviewed at several levels within the University and by external reviewers in their field. In consultation with the Faculty Senate, it has been decided that Digital Measures will be the platform used to complete the tenure and/or promotion application. Because tenure and promotion are such important milestones in a faculty member's career, a variety of support services have been created to assist users through these changes. These services include:
- A team to answer questions about the process, as well as the forms (see updated instructions)
- Updated instructions, including flowcharts and checklists
- Digital Measures support sessions
Below you can download a consolidated file of the committee, dean and department chair evaluation forms, faculty waiver form, and more. The goal is to provide you all of the information you will need as an applicant, department chair, committee chair, dean, etc. If you cannot find the answers you are looking for in the documents provided, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions.
Promotion & Tenure Governing Documents
- Board of Regents Handbook, specifically:
- UNLV Bylaws, specifically:
- Chapter 1, Section 4: "Tenure"
- Chapter 3, Section 9: "Faculty Personnel Files"
- Chapter 3, Section 16: "Guidelines for Promotion or Appointment to Academic Rank"
- UNLV Policy on Early Tenure
- Tenure Flexibility Request Form (Right-click to save file and open with Adobe Reader.)