Promotion & Tenure
Promotion and tenure are important milestones in a faculty member's career. Both are designed to build a faculty committed to excellence for the University while rewarding faculty for their teaching, creative, research/scholarly, and service contributions to the University and their respective field. Promotion and tenure is a rigorous process involving multiple layers of review and begins with the hiring process.
2014-2015 Promotion & Tenure Cycle
Faculty members applying for promotion and tenure will document their teaching, creative, research/scholarly and service contributions and have this record reviewed at several levels within the University and by external reviewers in their field. Because promotion and tenure are such important milestones in a faculty member's career, a variety of support services have been created to assist users through these changes. These services include:
- a team to answer questions about the process, as well as the forms
- updated instructions, including flowcharts and checklists
- fillable Adobe PDF forms
On this webpage, you will find the latest versions of each of the individual files, or an option to download a consolidated file of all instructions. Either way, the goal is to provide you all of the information you will need as an applicant, department chair, committee chair, dean, etc. If you cannot find the answers you are looking for in the documents provided, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions.
Promotion & Tenure Governing Documents
- Board of Regents Handbook, specifically:
- UNLV Bylaws, specifically:
- Chapter 1, Section 4: "Tenure"
- Chapter 3, Section 9: "Faculty Personnel Files"
- Chapter 3, Section 16: "Guidelines for Promotion or Appointment to Academic Rank"
- UNLV Policy on Early Tenure
Use of Adobe Signatures
Questions regarding Promotion & Tenure can be directed to: