Instructional Development and Research
As a coordinated whole, UNLV's instructional development and research services promote UNLV students' academic success by advancing research-based teaching and learning practices across the campus and online. The services described here support the professional development of all members of the UNLV teaching community through a program of research, consultation, events and resources.
Instructional development and research services are:
- We promote teaching practices that are grounded in research on students’ learning in higher education contexts. In addition, we conduct research on our own students’ learning in order to identify and encourage teaching methods that enhance our students’ academic success.
- Responsive to the Needs of UNLV's Teaching Community
- A wide variety of faculty and academic professionals teach and advise UNLV students. Our services and resources are designed to support their work.
- Supportive of Teaching and Learning in a Public, Minority-Serving, Tier I University Context
- We support UNLV’s teaching community in their work to offer an educational experience that promotes values that are essential to the future of US higher education:
- teaching and learning that is accessible and responsive to an increasingly diverse, high-achieving group of students;
- opportunities for students to learn through direct experience in leading edge research and innovation;
- learning experiences that enhance not only our students’ personal success but also the economic and societal vitality of the region;
- knowledge and skills recognized by employers and national organizations and enumerated by our University Undergraduate Learning Outcomes. (2013 Employer Priorities report, Lumina Foundation Degree Qualification Profile, Association of American Colleges and Universities Essential Learning Outcomes)
- leading-edge innovations in the ways we research and implement teaching/learning practices that promote innovative thinking in academic disciplines.
To fulfill these goals, providers of Instructional Development and Research services must offer a trustworthy environment to members of the UNLV teaching community. We follow the Ethical Guidelines for Educational Developers developed by the national POD Network in Higher Education, and we will release the name of a participant only upon the participant's request.