Recent Courses Taught
- SOC 101 — Principles of Sociology
- SOC 413/613 — Sociology of Sport
- SOC 407/607 — Environmental and Society
- SOC 455/655 — Social Movements and Social Change
- SOC 497 — Sociology of Climate Change
- SOC 709 — Graduate Seminar in Teaching Sociology
- SOC 755 — Graduate Seminar in Social Movements
- SOC 768 — Graduate Seminar in Environmental Sociology
Current Research Projects
- U.S. White Power Mobilization
This project consists of a series of articles and a book project with Pete Simi (University of Nebraska-Omaha) on the mobilization and persistence of the white power movement in the United States.
- UNLV Nevada Test Site Oral History Project
This recently completed grant-funded project with Andy Kirk (history) and Mary Palevsky (UNLV Black Mountain Institute) archives more than 340 hours of oral histories with Test Site workers, Native Americans, down-winders, and others affected by the U.S. continental site for nuclear testing. This project was funded by the U.S. Department of Energy and U.S. Department of Education. Click on the title for more information.
- Las Vegas Metropolitan Area Social Survey
A grant-funded research project with professors Christie Batson and Barb Brents to survey the attitudes, knowledge, and desires of Las Vegas Valley residents about environmental, social, and economic sustainability. This project is funded by the UNLV Presidential Research Award and the Southern Nevada Regional Planning Coalition.